Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:29 AM   #61
Super Moderator

mtngal,

I have been looking around, and I cannot find a fast f1.4-f2 lens that gives a "normal" angle of view on a 1.5 crop for the Pentax.

The best I can see is a 28mm f2.8.

The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is not available in Pentax mount.

To me the 50mm focal length is far less useful on a crop camera. What you want is 50/1.5 => 33mm

Do any of the Pentax users know if there is a fast f2 or better lens out there that would give an angle of view equivalent to 35-50mm? i.e. an actual focal length of 24, 28 or 35mm.

Even Nikon only has the 35mm f2, nothing wider, but at least the Sigma 30mm f1.4 is available in Nikon mount.

This of course is part of the reason that so many people prefer Canon. Their lens selection is unparalled.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:39 AM   #62

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
You can do similar exercises for Nikon and Pentax, though as I say the options for Pentax are a little more limited.
Is this enough reason to go with/stay away from a brand? Is it risky to buy a k100/10D because of it? I'm looking at options from all 3 vendors at the moment. I've had a Canon (G1) and Pentax Optio, and am moving up, but have no legacy lenses/accessories to keep me locked in - yet!

Great thread - thanks for all the advice.
painintheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:33 AM   #63

Ordered my K100D with the Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and the Pentax 50-200mm f/4-5.6. I am searching for the third lens right now. It looks like this is going to cost me a bit over 1k which is what I was shooting for. Thanks for the great advice. I cannot wait to get the camera. I was taking a few pics of my wife's belly, she is preggers, in a low light setup next to the Christmas tree and the pictures were blurry and just gross.
Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:04 AM   #64

TC-

Might you have attempted that photo under the Christmas tree in the Auto Mode? What ISO had you selected? Use the Program Mode. Set the ISO to a specific number such as 800 0r 1600, or even an ISOrange. Keep in mind that the maximum aperture on the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens is only F 3.5! This is a slow lens, be prepared for a slow shutter speed! Then halfway depress the shutter release, the camera will display the proposed aperture and shutter speed. Pay particular attention to the shutter speed. Unless you are very used to the camera, start with using at least 1/25th of a second as your minimum shutter speed, untill you get used to the camera. Ifthe shutter speed islower than that, use a tripod and the self timer. That procedure should get a rather decent photo.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:24 AM   #65

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
TC-

Might you have attempted that photo under the Christmas tree in the Auto Mode? What ISO had you selected? Use the Program Mode. Set the ISO to a specific number such as 800 0r 1600, or even an ISOrange. Keep in mind that the maximum aperture on the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens is only F 3.5! This is a slow lens, be prepared for a slow shutter speed! Then halfway depress the shutter release, the camera will display the proposed aperture and shutter speed. Pay particular attention to the shutter speed. Unless you are very used to the camera, start with using at least 1/25th of a second as your minimum shutter speed, untill you get used to the camera. Ifthe shutter speed islower than that, use a tripod and the self timer. That procedure should get a rather decent photo.

MT/Sarah

Thank you for the advice. I will try that when the camera comes in. I tried several different scene modes with my little digital camera. I got the pic I wanted but it just did not turn out like I wanted. I cannot wait for my K100D to come in. I am going to look into some classes at a local community college.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. You guys have helped me out and I appreciate it.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:50 AM   #66

TC-

As a teacher, I really enjoy teaching. It is fun for me or any other teacher, to see that sense of understanding begin to form, and the rote learning turn into action, as in this case, TC gets the photos that he really desires.

Another thought. I think we we both quite honestly realize that even concert pianists, have to practice. The same is true for photographers, we muct practice and learn by taking and experimenting with our photos, to become more proficient and better photographers. Enjoy!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:10 PM   #67

As far as fast normal lenses for Pentax goes - I wouldLOVE to get Pentax's 31mm f1.8 Limited lens - it's got a great reputation. However, it is the pro category and B&H has it listed for $779.95 after rebate. One day I'll get something like that, but for the moment I'm quite happy with a 24mm 2.8 that's another one of my manual lenses.

If one's main interest is in general photography any of the lens systems will work well. Pentax covers all the basics, has the ability to use some outstanding old lenses, and has announced several new lenses to be released in the next year or so. Some of them are pro level lenses (and will most likely be priced accordingly, sigh!). Unless you are interested in something specific that is covered by only one lens mount, I wouldn't rule out any of the main dSLR systems.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:11 PM   #68

Now I am super excited and wish I drove to the next town to pickup a K100D instead of ordering one.l The local shop close to me had one in stock, but it was already spoken for. I find myself looking around for things to take pics of. Been driving down the road and will think to myself, man, that would be a great picture....As soon as I get the camera I will post a few pics for you guys.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:01 AM   #69

TC - If you want some specific Pentax information, check out the part of this board that is devoted to Pentax dSLRs. There's all kinds of helpful people that love their cameras and can answer just about any question you can think of. Have fun with your camera when it comes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:17 AM   #70
Super Moderator

Quote:
As far as fast normal lenses for Pentax goes - I would LOVE to get Pentax's 31mm f1.8 Limited lens - it's got a great reputation. However, it is the pro category and B&H has it listed for $779.95 after rebate.

And for later upgrades if you fancy them Pentax is releases a new premium range of DA Star lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...starlenses.asp

Pentax has been slow out of the blocks in the digital race, but they are certainly now in the frame with some very solid products.

I am personally hoping that they manage to release their medium format digital system at a price that ordinary people can afford.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote