Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:12 PM   #71

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Is the link to the above lens a decent third lens to my collection?
Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:50 PM   #72

The Pentax FA 50mm1.4 has an excellent reputation, it's reasonably priced, andhighly desirable. As you notice, at the moment it's out of stock due to such high demand. It would make an excellent low-light, mildly tele lens. Just my suggestion, but I'd play around with the kit lens for a while and see if the 50mm is going to work for you. On the other hand, this is such a popular lens and used ones on ebayoften sell for as much as a new one, so if it doesn't work you can always sell it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:33 PM   #73

Hi Teecee, I am somewhat late to the discussion here. I too purchased the K100 a few months ago (now have a few over 1,000 images). I also picked up the 18 to 55 and 50 to 200, and in the last couple weeks order a couple more. I think that you will be very happy with your selection of the Pentax. Also, I did not read ALL of the postings - so I may be repeating something here.

However, I would like to add a couple of suggestions. I'm an engineer and lately have been traveling a lot. I have taken my new camera and lenses and laptop along with all the other stuff I need. Its a lot to haul around, and that is my point. The suggestions you received are all great - and no I am not sorry with my choice - would make the same choice all over again.

With a new baby due in June, your going to have a lot of additional stuff to haul around - in addition to the camera etc. Diapers, wipes, formula, food, changes of cloths - and that is to just go grocery shopping down the street and around the corner to pick up a gallon of milk. My sons are 17 and 19 - however I still remember packing them up for a quick trip somewhere - even worse in a cold weather climate.

Where I am going with this, is to suggest that you may want to supplement the K100D with a Point and Shoot - something that is really small, easy, uses the same SD cards as the Pentax, and is image stablized too. My reasons are, easy, fits in a pocket, there are times when a SLR just is not practical. Each has its place, time and situation.

My wife was critical of my selection - however when on a cruise, the P&S is perfect at dinner where the SLR would be a bit of a burden.

Also, balancing your child along with the diaper bag, at times the last thing your going to want to do, is to take a camera bag - P&S time and you will not miss the photo....

Hope that helps a bit.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:12 AM   #74
Super Moderator

Teecee,

I agree with mtngal.

Use your 18-55 for a few weeks and then look at your images and see if the 50mm f1.8 is going to be useful to you.

I have a 50mm f1.8 and a 28mm f1.8. The 28mm is on my camera most of the winter, the 50mm hardly gets used at all. It's just the wrong focal length for my photography.
However, it is a nice focal length if you have a baby coming soon, so if the aim is to get a lot of nice available-light pictures of the little one then I'd say go for it. But it's not going to be much use for taking pictures of the family gathered round to coo and gurgle.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:00 AM   #75

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Teecee,

I agree with mtngal.

Use your 18-55 for a few weeks and then look at your images and see if the 50mm f1.8 is going to be useful to you.

I have a 50mm f1.8 and a 28mm f1.8. The 28mm is on my camera most of the winter, the 50mm hardly gets used at all. It's just the wrong focal length for my photography.
However, it is a nice focal length if you have a baby coming soon, so if the aim is to get a lot of nice available-light pictures of the little one then I'd say go for it. But it's not going to be much use for taking pictures of the family gathered round to coo and gurgle.
I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic in any way, but explain to me how the seasons impact your lens selection. Is it that you take more outdoor shots in the winter and are looking to capture more landscape, take more family photos indoors, or other reason?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:02 PM   #76

peripatetic and TC-

I was just browsing over at B&H and lo and behold! They have in stock the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens in a Pentax mount. My Goodness! That is very special , good news! I have that lens for my Nikon D-50 and it is a wonderful lens.

It is not cheap, but it might be a nice answer for TC.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:24 PM   #77
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic in any way, but explain to me how the seasons impact your lens selection. Is it that you take more outdoor shots in the winter and are looking to capture more landscape, take more family photos indoors, or other reason?
Just a lot less light in the UK in winter, so I use the f1.8. It's not just that there is less daylight, but it's generally very cloudy even during daylight hours, so there is less light available.

In summer I have the 17-85 f4-5.6 zoom on most of the time.

It actually depends on the country I'm in too. When I'm in Africa I find that the zoom is fast enough; even indoors the (reflected) light is so strong that I seldom need the fast lens.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:39 PM   #78

peripatecic-

I noticed that Sigma also has a 28mm F 2.8 prime lens. By any chance have you used it?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:59 PM   #79

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just a lot less light in the UK in winter, so I use the f1.8. It's not just that there is less daylight, but it's generally very cloudy even during daylight hours, so there is less light available.

The light quality here in the UK really is different from Canada (and the US ex AK). Even at noon on a sunny day it seems a bit 'twilighty' . It actually looks quite beatiful, if a bit cold.

I'd have NO idea how to deal with that with my new camera, though

Dr. PITUK
painintheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:45 AM   #80

Here is a pic with the camera. I must say I love it. I woke my dobey up with the flash... She does not look happy with me.

http://static.flickr.com/139/321936452_52fd7b4f64_b.jpg

Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote