Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:24 PM   #1

I have an old Canon SD110 and wish to get a newer model. I readSteve's reviews for the SD800 IS and the SD900 and cannot decide between the two. The price is not a deciding factor here. Could you please give me some help with choosing. CNET seems to like the SD800 IS over the SD900, for what that's worth.

Thanks.
camera-shopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:31 PM   #2

Without having used either camera, I would choose the SD800IS over the SD900. The "IS" after SD800 stands for "Image Stabilization", which is a clever way of compensating for slight shaking of the camera while taking a picture. From everything I have read and seen, it appears to be a wonderful feature, and I would imagine especially so on a small, light camera that is perhaps a tad more susceptible to shaky hands than a larger camera.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:50 AM   #3

thanks -- so your thinking is that the IS is worth the 3 MP difference (10 down to 7)?

any other thoughts out there?

lens, image processor differences, etc?

Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:56 PM   #4

guys,I really need some help on this one

thanks
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:04 PM   #5

IS is a very worthwhile addition to any camera. You will be amazed at really how effective it is. I was!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:42 PM   #6

Considering that the 900 has the larger sensor 1/1.8"than the 800is 1/2.5", if it were myself would research which of the 2 had the best low-light performance, butif I was in the market for a Canon the A710is wouldbe high on the list, as well as image stabilisation it also sports Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority which neither of the 2 you are looking at has.

Regards Wirraway
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:54 PM   #7

Yeah, I'd take the A710is over the Elphs, also. The A710is is about 25% smaller than the A630/640, though still - I think - around 50% larger than the SD800is.

But back to the 800 vs 900 debate - unless you intend to print poster-size photos, the difference in picture quality between 7mp and 10mp is absolutely zero.

Wirraway wrote:
Quote:
Considering that the 900 has the larger sensor 1/1.8"than the 800is 1/2.5", if it were myself would research which of the 2 had the best low-light performance, butif I was in the market for a Canon the A710is wouldbe high on the list, as well as image stabilisation it also sports Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority which neither of the 2 you are looking at has.

Regards Wirraway
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote