Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:32 AM   #91

Wirraway-

Well, the W-100 did quite well and I like that it has a veiwfinder. At ISO 400, the shutter speeds were quite high, thus making handholding the camera no problem at all, plus you were using a bit of minus Exposure Compensation. That bodes well.Is aperture preference available on the W-100? If so I might have gone to aperture preference and used a somewhat smaller aperature, and a slower shutter speed, thus gaining some depth of field. Thanks a lot for taking the time to do those two test shots Wirraway.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:04 AM   #92

Irene, Shari, and Wirraway-

Here is another interesting sidebar note concerning post processing. Post processing is very subjective and has a lot to do with the photographer's memory of the Photo Scene and the photo environment.

However, just to my tastes, I would have finished these the last three posted images a bit differently. They would have lookedlike this:

Shari

Wirraway Test A

Wirraway Test B

Certainly there is no "right or wrong" in how you finish your post processing. The pointI am attempting to make hereis that we might individually see the same photo as something just a bit different. And that is perfectly OK.

MT/Sarah

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:40 AM   #93

Shari,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Great Picture! Its very nice to meet you!Very nice park shot. I love dogs and cats, too! My cats are especially challenging to photograph because they tend to hide in darker areas, making for a lot of glowing eyes.... sometimes even in pix without flash! Maddening. All the blue-eyed family members making redeyegalore, and then the pets with glowing eyes.... If I can't get in-camera correction - pp software will have to be my best friend, lol!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Irene
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:58 AM   #94

Whirraway,

Thank you for posting the test shots. You mentioned that you processed in pse3 - what did you do? How did the pix look straight out of the camera? Post processing doesn'tshow me what the camera will do... Can you post them without processing, please? Also, when you took the pix, what setting did you use on the camera - scene setting, manual, auto, etc.?

When I did my test shots I chose auto for 2 reasons. I wanted to see what the camera "thought" it should be set to for the pix. Also, since I'mnot familiar with manual settings, I wanted to eliminate my "goofy attempts" at making a test shot and ending up with something hideously over/under exposed, etc.

I went to Circuit City last night with husband and son to see if they had the W100. They did. Unfortunately, it wasn't out on display - only in locked cases. Since I wasn't going to buy it there, I didn't bother asking them to take it out and open a sealed box. I'll have to get out to another store to see the camera. But it certainly looks small enough for me.

Irene
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:11 PM   #95

Sarah

How exciting to be on a month long cruise! But 75 cents a minute is too steep for internet service. I'll have to pick up after you get back. In the meantime I'll keep trying cameras to find the one that works for me.

Irene
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:16 PM   #96

Sarah,

Can you tell me what you did to the 3 photos?They all look deeper, colorwise. It looks to me like you gave more color saturation. Is there a difference in what shows on a monitor in brightness vs. how a picture will print? I don't end up printing many of my pictures...

Irene
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:20 PM   #97

Irene-

Please don't rush us off. We will be here until 12/14, and I will remain active until then. Regarding the F-30:it tends to pick ISO numbers that are too high for the situation IMHO when in auto. That is why I suggest using it in the M for Manual Mode which is just like P for Program in most digicams.

Regarding post processing: your monitor has to be calibrated to match the printer. There is a very good little utility program contained in Photoshop Elements that will easily calibrate for you. All I did to the photos was to go in and reduce the brightness and increase the contrast a smidge, after I had screen captured the images.

MT/Sarah

Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:07 PM   #98

Hi Irene

The shots I posted were the originals, I was testing here to double check the ISO noise in that envioroment. I am not that proficent with Photoshop Elements and use just abasic technique. There are others here who are far more proficent with image-editors than myself. So I downloaded one of your shots to give it a go.

Camera: Fuji F30

ISO: 1600, Shutter: 1/4 sec, Aperture: f/2.8, Exp Mode: Auto, Exp Value: 0.00

Elements:

1. Levels (not quickfix) 2. Shadow & Highlight 3. Contrast & Brightness 4. Unsharp5.Noiseware.

Thats it less than 2 min.

Hope this helps

Regards Wirraway

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:09 PM   #99

Original: IMHO this shot would have been better taken at ISO 800 with an exposure bios - 1.3 the noise should be far less.

Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:33 PM   #100

Sarah/MT

You should try and download an exif reader, your Aid Riite Pharmacy shot is:

ISO 800 (not 200) and the shutter speed was 1/450th sec (not 1/80th)

Regards Wirraway