Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2006, 1:53 PM   #101

Wirraway, Irene, and Shari-

Please keep in mind that you can do a free download of the Neat Image software and it is good forever. It really cleans up the noise in any photo. However, you must keep in mind that it does it at the expense of some sharpness and homogenization of the image. As we work our way though this exchange, I think you can more easily see how post processing becomes pretty important.

Here are two more examples from the Kodak C-875 taken this morning. The first is with flash.

Here is a photo taken 30 seconds later with the ISO increased to 400 and no flash.

To my eyes, the second photo of Bradley, done without the flash is better. It was totally easy to do. Flash is NOT always the answer. Folks are much more comfortable without the flash in their face. Not only do you capture better photos, but your subjects are much more relaxed as well, and far less wary when you pull out your camera. Just a thought.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:41 PM   #102

Whirraway,

The picture of me was dark, but very accurate colorationto what I was wearingas I originally posted. I sent the pictures to a friend who is familiar with my office andhas am eye for photography.She remarked about the accurate color reproduction ofthe Fuji in my picture for me, my clothes and the office colors... Were you just trying to give me an idea of what pse could do? Or do you find the original image unsatisfactoryto you as posted and the correction to be an improvement?

Irene
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:50 PM   #103

Sarah,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I certainly don't want you to feel that I'm rushing you off... I'd actually like to keep you here.... LOL! Just want to make sure to wish you well for your upcoming trip now because with online time and distances (time zones) etc., things can fly right by- and then it's too late and you won't see my good wishes until your return.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I agree about the flash. I am learning that there are tiimes though when flash is better... but your picture of Bradley is not one. I definitely like th picture without flash better. So are these pictures straight out of the camera, or have they been processed?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Irene
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:50 PM   #104

Irene-

I post process everything. So the answer is yes, the two photos of Bradley were indeed pp'd. Many thanks for your kind wishes on our upcoming trip. The Chilean Fjords, and the Cape Horn cities are among our all time favorites. We have gone every year for the last five years at this time. It is spring moving toward summer in South America right now, a great time to visit.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:07 PM   #105

Hi Sarah,

I downloadedNeat Image software that you mentioned and used it on some pictures. It really makes a difference! Thank you for passing that along.

Here's the picture after processing with Neat Image. I think it looks better, do you?

Irene

Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:15 PM   #106

Irene-

Yes, you are very correct. As you can see it made a HUGE difference.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:41 PM   #107

Sarah,

I think one of the things I like best about Neat Image is that it pretty much left the picture as it was. Softer, yes. But not like the effects I've seen with some noise removal functions integrated into other programs. Wow, learn something new every day!

Irene
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:11 PM   #108

Irene and Shari

Today's experiment came out of the fact that I had to take a series of photos earlier today of some cameras with flash because there was not enough light to do it without flash. I used the Kodak C-875 and placed a difusser on the C-875's flash unit. It was nothing more than a bit or sliverof plastic milk bottle. However, it did cut the glare from those shiny cameras quite a bit.

When I finished the camera shoot. I asked Bradley to pose for a photo with the C-875 using the same set-up. I took the photo at ISO 100 to make up for the light lost to the difusser. Bradley reported the flash was greatly suppressed and very tolerable. The resulting photo was very good and I am attaching it for you. So this is another possible answer to this ongoing study.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:06 PM   #109

Thanks Sarah. When you get back maybe you can explain a bit more about how you do that. This past summer a friend asked me to photograph her jewellery she was getting ready for a show. I said 'of course' not haveing a clue how tough it was to photograph silver and resin jewellery. The resin has bits of gold and bamboo and all sorts of little bits in. Anyway I read on the internet and ended up making a tent with a garbage bag and making a whole in one end and attaching to my S5200 with an elastic band. I took the jewellery outside and photographed with this method and got some rather good shots. Norhing like she had been paying a professional over $100. aphoto for but OK for e-mailing to clients. There is so much to learn and I am always open to something new. Thanks again for sharing.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:27 PM   #110

Shari-

This is a very simple little fix. Take a look at the attached photo. I just scotch taped a small sliver of a plastic milk bottle (from the flat side of the bottle)on to the front of the Flash of the C-875 and then took the photo that I posted previous to this one.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images