Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:33 PM   #111

Sarah,

What an easy, clever way to soften flash. Milk cartons are something that almost everyone would have readily at hand. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for passing it along!

Irene
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:26 AM   #112

Irene-

It really simple to do and fun too. Here is the same difusser on my Pentax K100D.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:38 AM   #113

MT/Sarah, with all these portrait shots I thought I would give itatry out onthe Sony W100 at the highest ISOs to see how it performs.

At the highest !SO 1250 there is fairly strong noise and lost somedetail when I put it through Noiseware, at ISO 800 I am very pleased with the result. shot very late this afternoon with the subject sitting and fading light coming through the window.

I am very impressed with this little camera, and look forward to getting low light shots in Singapore, Manila and Bangkok when we leave next week. Knowing that it is nice at ISO 800 makes me a happy camper indeed.

1.ISO1250, f/5.2, 1/30th sec, exp bios -1.3

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:43 AM   #114

2. ISO 800, f/5.2, 1/15th sec, exp bios -0.30
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:45 AM   #115

Wirraway-

Yes, there is some visible noise in the photos, but otherwise very nice high ISO performance. Rather impressive. Both I assume are tripod shots.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:04 AM   #116

Hi Sarah

The 1st one is hand held, and the 2nd was on my Ultrapod 2 mini tripod, just about imposible to hold a camera steady enough at these low speeds and retain hair detail, I learnt my lesson the other day when trying to shoot the newspaper and keep the print in focus.

Regards Wirraway
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:40 AM   #117

Hi Sarah-
The diffuser really softens the flash very nicely! The picture is bright, but no "hot white" highlights. I will have to try this... and I have a container of milk that's almost finished. I'll do a couple of pictures, one with the diffuser, one without and post the results.

Irene

P.S.: Tomorrow's the big departure day! Hope I can get my pix done in time for you to see them before you go. Just in case I'll say it again now - Have a wonderful time - I'll be thinking of both of you!
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:47 AM   #118

Hi Irene-

Many thanks for the bon voyage wishes. Yes, today is the day for packing and then getting the house in order before we leave. I hope that the jury rigged difusser will work nicely for you. Have a great day.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:33 PM   #119

Well I must tell you Irene, Shari, and Wirraway-

I will miss all of you as we drive down the road, on our way to another "job" tomorrow morning in South America. It has been a lot of fun trying to get those great"no flash" photos with various cameras.

I'll be back again around 01/20 to re-join the conversation. I hate being "out of the loop" but at $0.75/min it is just not feasible. So, good luck to all of you. Have a Great Christmas and a very Happy New Year. Hey, how about this one? This is a kodak Z-760 with the makeshift flash difusser. It really is very sharp and detailed.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:43 PM   #120

Sarah,

I will miss you as well! Wishing you and Bradley a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year! Sounds like an incredibly fun way to celebrate Christmas and welcome in the New Year - traveling!

I did get pix of my husband with flash - and diffuser flash. I really like the diffuser much better. It's softer and more saturated. I'll try to get them posted in the next few minutes.

Irene