Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:18 PM   #121

Thanks a lot, Irene-

That sounds like there is something good coming from all this fooling around. As crude as the difusser is, it makes flash a bit more acceptable to our photo subjects who seem to hate flash. I will be anxious to see you photos, Irene.

You will really love this one: The arrival tax in Chile is $US100 cash per person, payable in US Currency. However, the Chilean authorities will not accept, new bills, or really worn bills. Payment must be in cash, not credit cards, or debit cards, and they really do check the condition of the currency. This little turn of events really surprizes a lot of folks, just arriving in Chile for the very first time. This will be our sixth season going around the horn, as they say. However, in all fairness, I must add that the Chilean people are among the most friendly, trusting folks on earth, we have had that constantly proven to us. in the last five years.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:40 PM   #122

Hi Sarah

I am sure you will have a great cruise despite the $100 entry to Chile, at least you only unpack your bags onlyonce when you board, my wife and I have 6 sectors by air plus 6 different hotels to deal with, hope you and yours enjoy the festive season.

tip: buy a little pockettripod for those low shutter speed shots.

Regards Wirraway
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:52 PM   #123

Wirraway-

You bet! I can get a little bit smarter with each passing day.We areheading off to South America with a small, compact tripod in hand. I will probably take the Sony H-5 which does so very well at ISO 400 with no flash and handheld. Please see the attached photo as well as you should really take a good look at the Kodak C-875 which is an amazing camera.

Yes, I know, I am a name dropper, but Kodak is paying the bills and supplying whatever cameras we desire, as long as we use them in the Kodak Training Seminars that we do for them. Kodak has gotten a whole lot better in the last couple of years, and we have to give them credit for the huge turn around they have been able to make. Their cameras are pretty darned good as we close out 2006. Much better than they were 2 to 3 years ago.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:57 PM   #124

Sarah-

I'm sure there are many surprises along the way. Both the currency typesurprises and the warmth of the people surprises. And nomatter how many times you go,there will be something new each time! I remember coming home from Mexico the first time and not knowing there was a departure tax.... and scrounging, turning our pockets inside out to scrape together thefee. I love to travel and have been on one cruise... Hope to do it again one day.

I got the pix of John. One with the diffuser, one without. I wishJohn was a cheerier subject, but at least I got 2 pix!Both pix were taken on Aperature Priority, ISO 200. I cropped to 4x6, removed noise and then resized to480x640 pixels.

One thing that surpised me ishow little difference noiseware made in the pix. I think the fuji does pretty wellwithnoise at iso 200.

Irene

First is John with straight flash.

Attached Images

itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:58 PM   #125

Here's the picture with the flash diffuser. I think it's warmer...
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:07 PM   #126

Whirraway,

I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time. Enjoy the holiday season -Did you say you'll be away for 3 weeks? If so, 6 hotels in 3 weeks is a workout! I'd love to travel to that side of the globe one day. Take lots of pix! I'm sure your camera will be perfect! See you when you get back!

Irene
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:14 PM   #127

Bon Voyage, you Wirraway folks-

Have a great trip and please take a lots of photos. We will all enjoy them (the photos)at the end of January. Be safe and take care, our positive thoughts go with you two.

MT/Sarah

Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:33 PM   #128

Irene-

I can see a difference between the two photos. #2, thanks to Neat Image, looks a bit better. However, somehow we have to get John, to at least, appear a bit more relaxed.

No offence intended, Irene. I have the very same problem with Bradley. However, I have learned that if he is in one ofhis more favored environments, such as his MAC computer, that he seems to appear a good deal more relaxed when posing for photos in those favorite environments of his.

The softened flash (thanks to the make shift difusser) gives a nice feeling to the photos. I really think that you are on the right track, Irene. Hang in there, I will be back around 01/20 with lots of photos. You have been a really great poster on this thread! And I have really enjoyed this thread a lot! See you next year.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:02 AM   #129

Thanks for comments Irene and Sarah, our trip is over 4 weeks Cairns-Singapore-Manila- Singapore- Bangkok - Singapore- Cairns, also like Sarah back on 20th Jan.

Did you finish up finding a camera Irene or are you still looking?

regards Wirraway
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:30 PM   #130

Hi Whirraway,

I'm still in the process of evaluating the 2 cameras. I have the Canon sd800is which came today. I took the same picture with the canon as I previously posted from the fuji. Auto, no flash. Awful. Pitch black. I didn't have time tonight to fool with settings to see what would give me something like what I got from the fuji... Anyhow, here is the same picture. you can compare to the fuji picture which I previously posted. I think you'llagree the fuji is one heck of a LOW light camera...

For what it's worth, in this picture I was wearing a MUCH lighter colored top - a beige suede blazer and a cream colored top. This is straight out of the camera - just resized.

I have a few stores in my area which I'll have to visit to see if I can see the Sony W100.

Irene

Attached Images