Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:32 PM   #131

Whirraway, I hope you can even see the picture I posted... It's very dark, you can see the blue light from the plasma tv... that's the brightest thing in the picture....

Irene
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:56 AM   #132

Hi Irene

I think this extreme test is over the top for both the Fuji F30/31 and the Canon 800is, your fuji shot IMHO is unusable as well as this one, even a DSLR would be pushing it. Yes, the Fuji is the top compactperformer for low light, but according to a lot of owners on the Fuji forum over on dpreview can be a bit hit and miss with focus in low light.

In most situations ISO 800 should surfice for most folks, granted I have seen some good images at 1600 from the Fuji and a lot more not so good, but at 800 very nice images indeed, for daylight shots out of the Fuji I found very ordinary but look ok if post processed.

I tried using Noiseware on your Canon 800is image but as expected it is unusable.

regards Wirraway
Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:54 AM   #133

Good Morning, Irene and Wirraway-

We don't leave until about noon today, so I decided to look in on the Forum. I honestly think that Wirraway is correct. We have to have realistic expectations as to what our proposed camera really can do.

Here is a photo taken under the worst conditions that I could create in our Hampton Inn room. I took the light bulb from the beside light, which was a 40w bulb and put it into the desk lamp. Then, I drew the drapes,I turned off every other light in the room, and took the attached photo, handheld,at ISO 1600 with my Fuji S-6000.

This is just how the photo looked as it came from the camera. The only thing I have done is to run it through Neat image. i personally think that, this is just about as far as you can push the S-6000 at ISO 16000, when it is handheld, and expect a reasonable result. The Fuji F-30 is supposed to do a bit better at ISO 1600 and 3200. And you might be able to do a bit better if you were using a tripod, or had put it ob a desk and used a selftimer, as Irene did in her Fuji F-30 ISO 800 test photo.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:46 PM   #134

Wirraway and Irene-

Here is the same photo taken with the Kodak C-875 handheld at ISO 800. You will notice there are blown highlights, but more detail. It is an interesting contrast, and has lot to do with the imager design.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:53 PM   #135

Irene and Wirraway-

One last test on the way to the airport we stopped by a camera shop and I snapped this photo, using one of my one chips/cards. It is a Panasonic FZ-7 at ISO 400, handheld inside the camera shop. This is straight out of the camera. No time for post processing.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:00 PM   #136

Irene and Wirraway-

Our flight cancelled this afternoon, so we have to go tomorrow. That gave me a bit more time to experiment with the Panasonic FZ-7.

You asked for simplicity of operation. On the Mode Selector of the FZ-7 is a heart shaped symbol. The heart symbol indicates simple operation. All you have to do is to point the FZ-7, press the shutter release half way down, as the camera focuses it chimes to indicate it has achieved theproper focus, and also pops up a large green circle or doton the LCD or EVF screen. In the case of this photo, the FZ-7 set an aperture of F 3.2, used ISO 200, and set the shutter speed to 1/10th of a second.

That slow a shutter speed would result in a blur in a camera that is not IS (image stabilized). However, in this case, the FZ-7 automatically held the FZ-7 perfectly steady, and we ended up with a great photo taken WITHOUT FLASH, under normal kitchen lighting at our son's home of Bradley and our two grandchildren. I have to take back what I have said about the FZ-7 being noisey at ISO settings above ISO 200. In this case, the Auto ISO kept the ISO at ISO 200 and below, so we got a great photo.

The photo that I am posting is straight from the camera and no post processing has been applied. All I did was to resize the photo so it met the posting requirements of this Forum.

So,please take a look also at the Panasonic FZ-7. It is has an excellent 12X Optical Zoom. If the camera is too large for your tastes, take a look at the Panasonic FX-01, which has just about the same features with LESS zoom. I hope this helps.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:22 AM   #137

Hi Irene - are you around? I got my Canon Powershot SD700 IS and so far I really like it. Here is a photo I took tonight in very low light. Just a 60 watt bulb lamp and that one candle going. No flash. There is noise but this is my very first attempt. I do like the fact that I have a very tiny camera and the viewfinder. This shot was taken at a high ISO (I think 800) Funny that the exact amount does not show up in my data. Did you end up getting a camera. I still have two weeks to play around before I have to make a definite decision.

Shari
Attached Images

Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:30 AM   #138

And then here is one taken from my patio. This was with just the 4x zoom on the SD700 IS. I normally use my Fuji 10x for these photos but this is not bad either. I think this is a great little camera just to always have with you. Beause it is going out of stock we got a good price.

Shari
Attached Images

Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:28 PM   #139

Hi Shari-

Glad to hear you got a camera you really like. Have fun and happy New Year to everyone from South America.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:29 PM   #140

Hi Shari-

Glad to hear you got a camera you really like. Have fun and happy New Year to everyone from South America.

MT/Sarah