Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:29 PM   #141

Hi Shari-

Glad to hear you got a camera you really like. Have fun and happy New Year to everyone from South America.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:29 PM   #142

Hi Shari-

Glad to hear you got a camera you really like. Have fun and happy New Year to everyone from South America.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:43 PM   #143

Hey Sarah - Happy New Year to both of you. I didn't think you were going to check in on your trip. I can play with this camera another ten days before deciding if I want to exchange it. I think it is probably fine for what I want. Looked at the SD900 but no IS. All my Christmas photos in low light turned out and they were just taken on auto because I had not had time to play around. Ron got me a 1 G fast speed card also and there is no lag time with this little camera. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Have a safe trip home and talk to you in 2007!!!

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:39 AM   #144

are there anymore pics taken with the canon sd800? i just purchased the canon and im waiting for it to be delivered. i hope i made the right choice in cameras.
one028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:19 PM   #145

Oneo28 = my photos are from the 700IS. The store that we deal with in Canada was not going to carry the 800 so I would have to jump to 900 and that did not have the IS. So much to think about. Now I think we are going down to the States for a weekend soon and I am wondering if I should take my camera back and purchase for much cheaper in the US. The thing is thatif thereis any problem with the camera at all - the store I deal with will replace immediately. If I get the camera in the US that could become a problem. I have been very sick since Christmas and not had the time I would have liked to test this camera. We had to cancel last night and today's plans where I was planning on group pictures. I am going to phone the store and ask for an extension on the trial period. I figure by next year at this time there will be that much more to choose from!!!! I think I am happy with my little guy and my next upgrade will be on my Fuji S5200. I do not plan nor want to get into DSLR. Happy New Year to all - Irene did you decide on a camera yet??? Sarah if you check in again have a safe trip home and look forward to continuing this thread in late January.

Shari
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:24 PM   #146

Hi Shari, Sarah and welcome one028!

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, and wish all a happy healthy and prosperous 2007! Shari, I'm sorry that you haven't been feeling well. I hope that you get lots of rest so you return to good health. There is a world of photography fun waiting for you! Sarah, I'm as surprised as Shari that you've been able to check in! Hope you and Bradley are having a great time teaching and that you've been able to take lots of pix!

I have had much involvement with cameras. Some good, some not so good. First of all I did the majority of my low light testing with the fuji F30. I was very happy with the low light capabilties of thef30overall. I also tested the SD800is which I wasn't happy with. Based on that positive experience with Fuji F30,. I decided to go with the F31. More about that below.

This is a camera that I REALLY wanted to like. I read on so many sites that it's a wonderful camera. My friend is a big canon fan and originally selected it for me as the "right" camera for me. I was very disappointed in the low light capabilities of the sd800. The camera performed so poorly in low light that I think it was actually defective. Using macro mode or close up pictures of food in a dimly lit restaurant, my friend and I compared the pictures from 2 cameras. A canon SD-10, which is (at least 2-3 year old model) 4mp camera and I think the max ISO is 400. No image stabilization. (That's ok - it's tiny, cute and sexy!). The SD800is is 7.1 mp with ISO up to 1600. So you'd *think* you'd get a better picture... but NO WAY. The pictures from the 800 wereso dark as to be unusable. The pix from the old SD10 were delish enough to eat. Outdoors or indoor pics with flash were very good or ok... but you would NEVER get in indoor picture without flash from that the camera. That's why I think the camera was defective. Why in the world would it choose ISO 100 in a dark room on auto? Made no sense to me. Also, canon has "dumbed down" the cameras considerably. It doesn't tell you what the ISO is that was used UNLESS you set it yourself. There was almost no helpful EXIF info from the camera to help me figure out why my picture didn't come outwhen taken on auto, or scene mode. Image stabilization didn't seem to make much difference on the one I had... But again, I felt that it must be a defective or damaged in shipping situation. Outdoor pictures were VERY crisp, and clear with beautiful color and saturation. My friend who is/was a very loyal canon owner/buyer was so disappointed withcanon's dumbing down and the way they hide ISO info that she wouldn't recommend them anymore.

Now for the F31. Ibought the f31fd from an online camera store for a very good price. I figured that I loved the f30 and would love the f31 even more with face detection. I am HOPING that it was a fluke with the camera I received. I shot 2 identical pix. Both full auto, no flash. There is a HUGE difference in the 2 cameras for the brightness of the pix. the f30 is bright, and beautifully saturated for indoor no flash pix. The f31 - MUCH darker picture with low light - almost grayish in very low light. In brighter light the pix are still darker. The auto white balance was SUPERB on the F30. The f31 is not so good. there seems to be a yellowish cast on my indoor no flash pix. When I set the white balance for incandescent lighting the yellow got worse. Not the same low light capability on the F31. The face detection seemed a little flaky. Despite what the advertising shows, the camera didn't seem to hold the face consistently NOR was it consistent about zooming in on the face in playback mode...

I returned the camera to the place I bought it for an exchange. IF I'm not happy with the replacement, I intend to send it back EVEN THOUGH IT"D BE SUBJECT TO A 10% RESTOCKING FEE. The cameras are that different. So different that if the replacement is the same, I know I won't be happy, and therefore won't use the camera. I'd rather eat the restocking fee than keep a camera I hate.

Bottom line is that all these weeks later, I still don't have the camera thing nailed down. Needless to say I'm not a very happy camper. I also wonder about the whole mailorder shipping and its effect on the cameras. My friend ordered 3 cameras (all the same make and model)which were shipped. One was defective. I ordered 3 cameras - 2 I'm not happy with! In all the cases, the cameras work. Just not the way you'd expect. And if my friend wasn't pretty familiar with how her camera should work, I don't think she would have recognized the one that wasn't "right" as quickly as she did. It took her a couple of weeks to realize that the camera wasn't working correctly. I just wonder if the jostling the occurs in shipping throws off the electronic components "just enough" that would explain the flakiness of the cameras that I've seen. Otherwise - the camera industry is in a sorry state to have so much disparity between individual cameras of the same make and model...
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:31 PM   #147

itzme,

Could we see a couple of comparison pics between the F30 and the F31?

Thanks,

The Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:51 PM   #148

Hi Rinne,

I'll check to see what I kept from the F31. I only have one xD card, and the internal memory of the f31 kept getting filled and I'd delete the pix to make room for the new ones. Before I shipped the camera back, I copied the pix from internal memory to the xD card. Lemme see if I have the identical shots.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:20 PM   #149

Hi Irene, Happy New Year to you too! Still have my sore throatbut hope to get out with the camera next week. I quite like the Canon Powershot SD700 IS. The things I was looking for was IS, Viewfinder and very small camera. I did take photos on Christmas night in low light. On auto - and they are fine for what I want. You are right the ISO does not show on the exif but that does not really bother me for what I want this little camera for. My husband got a fast speed card for the camera. I don't know where or what difference that makes but maybe. This also has a 4x zoom which is just that much better than the 3x I had. When I know I am gong to shoot photos and want better quality and the 10x zoom I will take my Fuji S5200. This little one seems to do the trick for what I want. I know the store we deal with said they were not stocking the SD800 because there were some problems with it. You should be able to find the SD700 very cheap now. We got them down to $399. Cdn and I know they are much cheaper in the states. Just a thought while you make up your mind on what you really want!!! Remember what your Son said - just get something to start finding out what you like! I think that is what I ended up doing. It just gets too confusing. My FujiF700 took such beautiful outdoor photos I am hesitating getting rid of it.

Shari
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:46 PM   #150

Rinnie, I don't have the identical pix. I will be getting a replacementF31 within the next couple of weeks. And I still have the F30. I'll be sure to redo the indoor pix without flash when the camera arrives. And I'll look to be more precise in camera placement and subject placement.

Irene