Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:56 PM   #151

Thanks Irene. Sounds like you got a defective F31. I can't believe there could be that much of a difference between two cameras that share the same lens and sensor. Maybe the FD was overriding the white balance and/or the EV settings and messing everything up. This was the first complaint I've heard about the FD - most people have reacted favorably to it. Hope your next one is better.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:10 PM   #152

Shari,

Ahhh yes! The words of wisdom from my son. I thought that I had settled on a camera.... and that backfired on me.... Darn.

I'm sure you'll love the outdoor pix from your Canon. That was one thing that was really nice on the SD 800 - very crisp outdoor shots! The faster card means possibly quicker (shorter) times between pictures... If the card can write faster, it gets done faster and the camera is ready for the next picture faster. Of course there are the limitations of the write speed of the camera, but as long as the camera itself can write very fast, having a fast card can make a difference.

I'm finding the EXIF data very helpful to analyze what went wrong with a particular picture. For example, I've had the ones that came out practically pitch dark from the canon. My friend found something that could read the data from the canon and she said "no wonder the picture is so dark - it's no flash, very very low light and ISO 100!". Of course it doesn't explain WHY the camera, which was set to AUTO, NOFLASH woulduse that ISO. It used the autofocus assistbeam -that little orange light, so the picturewas in focus - it "knew" the scene was dark...! So for those reasons, it's sometimes helpful. But you may only care that you got the shot you want, not why you didn't get a picture. Nothing wrong with that approach. I just need to see where I went wrong - not that it always helps for the future either! I had a few Christmas pix that were duds... and knowing why doesn't make me able to go back and redo them... LOL!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the f31 I sent back was an anomaly.... and the replacement will be as nice as the f30!

Irene

itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:47 PM   #153

Hi Shari,

I thought I'd send a picture taken outdoors with the SD800. It was taken in the afternoon and the sun was just right. This is straight out of the camera - no noiseware used- just resized. I really love the color in this picture. The skin tone is SUPERB. I'm sure you'll love your camera.

Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:18 PM   #154

Thanks Irene - I was just reading a post on another forum I belong to about how much someone hated their SD800 - Nothing compared to the SD700IS they upgraded from. I honestly think everyone sees differentoutcomes in photos and everyone likes to edit to their own taste. We went through a lot of this a couple of years ago when we were deciding on an LCD HD TV and even though we paid top dollar at the time we have been very happy. I think homework helps but I also think a lot these days is up to individual taste- because there is so much to choose from. Lets hope we get many happy days of shooting and editing in 2007.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:17 PM   #155

Yes, I've read the same things in user reviews about the 800. Many people were wanting that camera for:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1. Wider lens

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2. Digic III processor vs. Digic II

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"3. Higher ISO capability

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"4. Image Stabilization

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"...But ended up very disappointed and angry.But there are SO many positive reviews about the camera! I belong to Photojojo and they name that as their FAVORITE camera... And if they take a lot of outdoor pix or indoor with flash, what's not to like? I think the above is really nice. I wish I had a fuji shot to compare with... Too bad I didn't ask my husband to snap that!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"At this point though, I will hold off on the Canon 700and try my luck with the Fuji F31. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it'll do most of what I want.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Irene

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"P.S. Hang onto your camera if it takes great pix! I wouldn't get rid of ANY camera that takes a great picture if I own it... You never know when it could come in handy....
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:19 PM   #156

Shari,

Another thought just came to me.... I know my own personal experience with obtaining cameras. I ordered 3 and 2 were problems. I wonder how many of the people that *hate* the camera actually have a dud? I mean the type of thing that works, but is a little *off* in some way... I can see that happening so easily with all the roughshippingwith internet sales. Some of it is a question of personal preference. But I'm going to post some pictures taken indoors - no flash from the 800 AND from the SD 10 that I posted earlier about.I don't think anyone's taste would find the pictures from the 800 acceptable/preferrable to the SD 10. It's on my laptop, I think, so it'll take me a little time to get to it.

Irene
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:35 PM   #157

Irene-

Please don't be turned off by your experience. That is pretty rare. Teaching as I do I own a ton of cameras and have only encountered one that was defective. As has already been said find a camera you like and stick with it. I have had excellent sucess with the Fuji S-6000, but that is a bigger camera than your real want.

Try the FZ-20 or FZ-30. They do a good job. We will be home again around 01/20.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:54 PM   #158

Hi Sarah,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What a pleasant surprise! I am trying not to get discouraged. I haven't received the replacement F31fd yet. I'm hoping that I'm happy with the replacement. I did look at the 2 cameras you mentioned but I must have seen the wrong things. The FZ20 and FZ30 are honking big cameras. Definitely not purse size, compact or subcompact cameras.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm planning to keep the f31 as long as it's close to the f30 in picture quality.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Irene
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:14 PM   #159

Here are some pictures taken with the Canon SD800IS. The first was set to auto mode - noflash. As you can see - the camera picture is absolutely black.
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:18 PM   #160

This was taken at hi iso or possibly ISO 400 - not sure which since canon doesn't give the info in the EXIF data in a way thatcan be read... Since my friend's old canon SD10has a maximum iso of400, I thinkwe used that.