Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:01 PM   #11

BillieBob-

That is indeed a logical answer. However, for Shari camera size is very, veryimportant. Therefore, a DSLR is most probably not on the choices list.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:03 PM   #12

Hi Billie Bob,

Not sure if your response was intended for me, but I'll respond as if it was...
I am not willing to carry a dslr. I want something in the compact/ultra compact point and shoot category, since I want to be able to keep the cam with me all the time. I can't do that with a dslr. My husband has a Nikon DSLR and is willing to carry the weight for picture taking occassions only...

Irene
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:24 PM   #13

Hey Irene,

I feel the same way. I do have my Fuji S5200 and tripod when I want to take a bigger bag. I am not ready to get into DSLR and all it entails. This is my hobby and I am notwanting to get too serious about it. I like taking photos and printing 4 x 6 and making notecards. I just want a good little camera to stay with my keys and cell phone that goes everywhere. Did you decide what to get?

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:46 PM   #14

No decision here yet Shari. But more confused, I think. Sarah leans to the Fuji for the high iso capabilities and away from the canon for the watercolor effect at high iso's. I haven't seen the Canon SD800 IS at higher iso's -- but this model is supposed to go up to 1600. As someone who currently teaches photography, I imagine that Sarah has seen or used more cameras than I ever will... I have a friend who loves canon cams and she says that canon is a well oiled machine - a real work horse, and says that canon gives wonderful pictures "right out of the box" i.e. - just turn it on, point and shoot... To further muddy the waters regarding the Canon SD 800, I don't know if the wider wide angle of the lens is something that will beas usefulas greater zoom. I really need image stabilization of *some sort* becauseI tend to shake for example, when depressing the shutter button, or trying to hold the camera steady for longer exposures.

I'm currently tryingout/borrowing a fuji f30. I went to a night football game, took many of the pix in natural light or auto setting. Some of the iso's are 3200 most are 1600 and a few are 800. But despite the high iso's some of the shots are just inexplicably blurry... even at 3200. If I were the only one taking pix, I would blame myself for the blur, but even some of theones myhusband took are blurry, and he IS much better at photographythan I. Examining the camera data, it says there was no blur warning and the shot is in focus -- but it's not... Now if I have one "lament" or wish from that one event, it would be that more zoom would have been great... quite a few of the pix just seem too far away.... I think that's going to be worse with a wider angle lens on the 800.... I have never used any Canon camera so I can't comment on my picture taking experience with that brand.

Then there's my son with his advice. Just get *something* and use it so you can learn what is important to you., so you can get the right camera when you correct the mistake of this purchase...

Kids!! Ya gotta love 'em...

Irene
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:49 PM   #15

itzme,

Post some of the blurry pics, please.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:07 PM   #16

Irene and Shari -

The Fuji F-20 and F-30 cameras are best used in the M mode. That might appear to be a Manual Mode, but it is really like P for Program in most digicams.

On the F-30 by using the M mode and either setting a specific ISO value or an ISO range which limits how far the ISO setting will shift you nwill have much better control in your photos.

On the S-6000/S-6500 camera, which has a very conventional Mode Selector, use the P for Program Mode and manually set the needed ISO values. There are no "range settings" on this camera.

Please understand that the P for Program Mode is far better to use than the "Auto Mode" on most digicams, especially the Fuji cameras. Aito locks to many things out of the photo equation.

Under normal daylight lighting cameras such as the Canon SD-800 IS will do a fine job. It is when you get into real low light level shooting, that the rubber really begins to meet the road in a big way. That is where the camera such as the Fuji F-20, F-30, and S-6000/S-6500 really begin to shine. The Sony W-100 also does pretty well in low light level shooting conditions as well.

If those low light level shooting conditions are when you turn on the camera's flash, then please don't worry about high ISO capable cameras. Some people don't like pepperoni pizza either. It is not a big deal. The main issue is to get a camera that you can have a lot of fun with everyday.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:13 PM   #17

I have 4 here, although there are more....
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:19 PM   #18

here's number 2
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:20 PM   #19

Number 3
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:22 PM   #20

Number 4 - Thanks for any help/insight you can offer....

Attached Images