Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:52 PM   #31

Thanks, Whirraway (LOVE that name!). I have the trial version of Elements 5. Because it really guides newbies like myself, I was able to rescue a picture taken over Thanksgiving dinner in a low light restaurant with an awful Casio camera. My husband and son were in the dark, and I was ahem, loud and clear, so to speak... I was able to selectively lighten the section of the picture where my husband and son were sitting enough so that you could actually see they were there.The picture is very grainy, but certainly better than no picture!Previously the picture was so dark, it almost looked black. Just that one fix showed me the power of Elements and made the decision to buy it a no-brainer. However, I find the program very kludgey to work with and go back and forth between organizer and editor....

I'll have to look into some noiseware software. For now, I think I'll go catch some zzzz's - gotta get up for work in the morning!

Thanks everyone!

Irene
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:08 PM   #32

Irene - Good morning!!

I have PSE5 and really like it. Actually you can set it to take red eyes out while loading the photos. I turned it off but you can do it. If you are interested I belong to a wonderful site where there is lots of help. Are you keeping the F30? I am going to phone and see if I can get the F31fd here and also go back and take a look at that Nikon.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:32 AM   #33

Good morning!

Sure! Please share about the PSE5 group. I'm planning to purchase Elements 5. I was aware that Elements corrected many occurrences of RE. I have no idea how well it works - does anyone here have practical experience with this? My husband's Nikon software auto corrects many instances of red eye, too.

Irene
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:33 AM   #34

Irene and Shari-

Please understand that since about 1998, the camera manufacturers, with their cameras, have only provided software that meets the legal minimum requirements. That means that you are going to have to use software that you either purchase or get free. Picassa2 from Google is free and it is capable of doing small tasks quite well. However, it will not cloneand it does not handle layers and selections. So, please put yourself at peace, and purchase some good software for yourself. As Irene described, youcan actually save some photos that would have previously be deleted. That saves memories from an event that cannot be re-enacted,such as Thanksgiving. That makes your software valuable to you.

Irene,

Please give some serious consideration to NOT USING the darned Auto Mode, if a Program Mode selection is available on the camera that you are using. You loose far too many valuable functions (such as the ability to control your ISO and WB for starters+many more!!) when using the Auto Mode.

Shari-

Using a viewfinder and/or the 2 second selftimer will help minimize camera movement a lot. As soon as you extend the camera out in front of yourself to frame the photo, your hands and arms are virtually floating. Camera movement is virtually guaranteed. By using a viewfinder, you are using that natural, built-in tripod the the Good Lord gave use when designing human photograhers. Each arm acts like a leg of the tripod. Placing the camera up to your eye/face/head creates the final, needed leg of the human tripod. It is there. It is free. It requires very little effort. Why not use it?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:21 PM   #35

Sarah, I really want to use the non-auto modes. I have noticed that some of the nicest shots I've seen on websites produced by the F30 have been made using something other than auto...

I'm in the process of "borrowing" a canon SD800 IS to see how I like that camera. Guess that's the only way I'll know for sure that I won't be sorry for getting an f31fd, since no one beyond you (mentioning the watercolor effect at high iso's) gave any input about the Canon.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:30 PM   #36

Irene-

Testing the SD-800 IS is a very good idea. I wish you could try a Sony W-100 as well. That, unfortunately is one of the few cameras that I do not own.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:57 PM   #37

Sarah - I'm going to look at the Sony W100 this weekend. It is a little larger than the style that I wanted but those from my PSE forum as saying I may regret not having the view finder. Trouble is I am getting up in $$ to more than my S5200. Oh well - one for the zoom and one for the pocket. The thing I am hesitant about Sony is that it has the memory stick. I assume this will go into my computer the same way the XD and SD cards do. Not having to hook up the camera to my computer to upload is a huge plus for me. I am getting quite tired of this whole process and in a couple of months there will probably be a whole new batch of cameras - sigh! Thanks for your help Sarah. Are you packing yet?

Irene - the website is www.photoshopelementsuser.com and if you do get PSE5 it is very worthwhile to join. So many videos and tutorials and a magazine. I have done some great things with photos that were not be best.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:31 PM   #38

Shari-

We will be out of here and heading to South America for a month to do more workshops in just one week. Please don't be letdown. Finding the really right camera does take time. If ISO 800 is OK for you, and the size is not a huge problem, take a look at the Canon A-710 IS. It has gotten glowing reviews and it gives you 7.2mp, IS, an optical viewfinder and an overall excellent camera, all in one package.

MT/Sarah.

Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:58 PM   #39

Thanks for the info re: PSE5 group. I'll check it out!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:14 PM   #40

Hi Sarah,

I went out to dinner in a dimly lit restaurant with friends last night. One friend brought along her brand new Nikon S10. She LOVES the 10x optical zoom (40X combined) on the cam and so do I, but I'm way too much of a photgraphy novice to deal with the difficulty of learning to get the good results with the camera that my friend gets. I had the fuji F30 with me. I was able to get some quick snaps in the low light - no flash. The Nikon is not able to the low light as well as the fuji. Believe it or not, ppl were "complaining" about the brightness of the auto focus assistgreen light! Forget about the complaintsabout flash... Let's just say that we didn't have the most willing/cooperative subjects.... Clearly, the crotchety folks I take pix of necessitate having excellent low light capabilities...

What is it about the W100 that makes it something you think I should try? The view finder?higher MPs?

Is steadiness something that will get better with use and practice?

If I don't hear back from you before you leave, have a wonderful trip!

Irene