Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:09 PM   #41

Itzme

Just now I checked Jeff Keller's dcresource site, and read his review on the Sony W100, he was surprised at the goodISO results, check his marketshot out, taken at ISO 400 and he say's printed fine at 10"x 8".

dcresource site: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_w100-review/
He also mentions at higher ISO's above 400 are ok at smaller size's.

Regards Wirraway
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:29 PM   #42

Hi Irene, I am really really interested on how you like that Fuji F30 and taking pictures without the viewfinder. I am getting more and more advice on the fact that I should get a camera with a viewfinder. The compact cameras that I am interested in do not have viewfinders. Do you find shake when holding the camera out to take the picture?

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:24 AM   #43

Good Morning, Irene and Shari-

The Sony W-100: The primary advantage of the W-100 is that it has a viewfinder, thus it allows you to use that natural built-in the body tripod that I spoke about previously. The low light capabilities of the W-100, I would guess to be somewhat less than the Fuji F-30. However, as Jeff Keller's review photos have shown, the W-100 does do pretty darned well in low light level shooting. Perhaps Wirraway can also provide some low light samples for us as well. Keep in mind that like the Fuji F-30, the Sony W-100 does not have IS. I would guess that in the next wave of Sony cameras, we will see them extend the IS feature from the H2 and H-5 models to their other cameras. The W-100 is not a perfect fix of the problem, but it is most probably the best with a viewfinder right now.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:13 PM   #44

Hi Shari,

I don't have the steadiest hand. I've experienced some blur. Not as much as with other cameras. I had a few other cameras that weren't good in low light and 2 things would happen that drove me out of my mind.... In low light it would take the other cameras MUCH longer to focus... and that would cause blurring even with IS sometimes... and I had and Pentax Optio A20 which was way too slow.... I used the sport mode and the blasted focus frame started tracking all around the lcd screen trying to fix on the subject. I couldn't get the thing to take a picture when I pressed the shutter... Back that one went.

A friend of mine got a tiny canon sd10 and every picture she took when she first got it was blurry big time. In frustration, she read the manual... it gave the BEST stance to get a steady pic and she's had no trouble since then even without image stabilization. The manual said (or showed) the left hand is used like an imaginary gun or pistol - thumb up and index finger pointed straight out, which kind of makes an L shape. The camera gets balanced on the L. Elbows in to the sides of your body to help steady things. It takes practice, but practice makes perfect.

I figure I have to change anyway... I have a tendency to cover both corners of the camera with my fingers. This is a problem for me with cameras that have the flash in the upper outside corner of the camera...
I've covered many a flash unit in my picture taking... then I'm left to figure out why the picture is dark, LOL!! so since I'm having to change for that... I might as well just move along with the times, if possible...

Also, for some pictures, I've used Sarah's tip of using the 2 second timer to take pictures... That can't be used for action shots, of course but it IS a great tip to steady yourself a bit especially if pressing the shutter is what causes your blur problem...

Irene
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:28 PM   #45

My personal aopinion would be that I would buy the Canon because it uses SD cards which are much easier toobtain and cheaper to buy than the proprietary xd-Picture Cards Fuji uses! Also, Image Stabilization is far more reliable than increased ISO because the higher the ISO the more "noise" there is!
DigitalDocOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:44 PM   #46

Hi DigitalDoc,

I had much reservation about the xD format, but got over it. Costco sells a 1 gig xD card for <$50. With my workflow style, I tend to erase the card with each download, so I don't really need more than one card... Unless I want a backup.

I am going to be trying the canon. I'll still have the fuji to do side by side tests and hopefully will be able to come to a decision about these 2 cameras... Hopefully at the end I'll want one of the 2.... I tried the Pentax Optio A20 which has image stabilization of some sort... and it didn't work as well for me as I'd hoped... mainly though, it was too slow. I'll see with the Canon... If it does most of what I'm looking for then i'll go with the canon. Since many reviewers complain about lack of manual control on the canon P&S cams, I expect that the canon should give GREAT results on auto...

Thanks again for the input!

Irene
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:45 PM   #47

DigitalDoc-

Your advice is fine except, Canon does not have any really good camera that can handle low light level shooting at ISO settings of ISO 800 or 1600 without flash.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:54 PM   #48

doc,

You're entitled to your opinion, but ...

"My personal aopinion would be that I would buy the Canon because it uses SD cards which are much easier toobtain and cheaper to buy than the proprietary xd-Picture Cards Fuji uses!"

Easier to obtain? Every place I saw SD cards for sale also had xD cards. Every place that sells Fuji cameras sells xD cards. The difference in price between a high speed SD card and the highest speed xD card is about $10. Considering this is a one time purchase for most people, your argument really has no validity.

"Also, Image Stabilization is far more reliable than increased ISO because the higher the ISO the more "noise" there is!"

IS does nothing to help you when photographing moving subjects...high ISO can by allowing faster shutter speeds. Higher ISO does mean more noise in every camera. However, some cameras can handle it a lot better than others. Take a look at a comparison between the S3 IS (with IS) and the S6000 (without).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...00fd/page6.asp

Whadya think?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:19 PM   #49

My ultimate darkness test....

I took some pictures in the waiting room of the office. The room has no natural light. There is a red exit sign in the room which must remain lit at all times. I turned off all the lights in the room, and the only light in the room was from the exit sign, and the light coming through the doorway from another room. There is a video camera to watch the door into the office so that I can see anyone coming into the office. The video camera displays on a computer monitor at my desk. I took a picture of the monitor's video camera display showing the room with all the lights on, and a picture of what the video thinks the room looks like with all the lights off - except for the soft red glow of the exit sign. The first two pictures are of the video monitor of the office waiting room. One with the lights on the next with the lights off.
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:20 PM   #50

Video monitor of how dark the video camera thinks the officeis with the lights off in the waiting room...
Attached Images