Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:23 PM   #51

This is a picture taken in the darkness of the waiting room. I propped the camera on the desk, used the self timer. The only light was the available light coming through the doorway of the other room and the soft red exit sign.
Attached Images

itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:25 PM   #52

To illustrate further just how low the light in the room was, here are 2 more pictures taken from the area of the door which is visible in the video monitor picture number 1.
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:30 PM   #53

You can actually see the red light of the video camera in the previous picture. Here's another shot of the area, slightly different angle. The pictures were all taken on auto. I definitely wasn't up to fiddling with other settings. I just wanted to have the camera decipher what it thought the settings should be.... I haven't done anything at all.... I am amazed that I could stand in a dark room, and withonly the light reflected from another room - clearly not enough to light the room - take a picture. Even my husband agrees - this is a LOW LIGHT camera.
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:53 PM   #54

Yes, good low light camera Irene - but which camera is it please?

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:01 AM   #55

Irene-

I am like, Shari! OK reasonable photos, with some visible noise but what camera. Is it the "on loan" F-30 or the Canon SD-800 IS. My guess , after looking at the photos rather closely is that it is the canon SD-800 IS. Please confirm. Thanks!

It is fun to share photos of each other, here is me.

MT/Sarah

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:40 AM   #56

Definitely the F30.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:25 AM   #57

Irene-

Our good friend, Rinnie has solved the puzzle. The photos were taken with the Fuji F-30. Thanks, Rinnie. Now, Irene,how do you feel about the F-30 after using it for awhile?

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:16 AM   #58

This afternoon just got the wife to try focusing on a newspaper holding the camera in front using the lcd at 1/30 sec and than trying again using the viewfinder, 10 shots of each revealed easily better results using the viewfinder. using the same test on myself got the same result.

In Irene's 1st 3 shots the 1st one was 1/13 and the next 2 quarter of a second. to get a crisp shot at these speedswould require a tripod, I have also noticedan hour ago on the fuji forum at dpreview, a guy haspostedsome F30shots including a choir shot, although the the image is well exposed using a high ISO the faces in the choir are very soft, obviously due to camera movement at 1/13 sec.

I tried the newspaper test with my H1 with the image stabiliser turned on, wow! I'm now completly sold on IS as this was the 1st time I have tried it.

With PMA due early next year, I will be keeping an eye out for a pocket camera with good highISOtogether with image stabilisation.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:28 AM   #59

Wirraway-

Yes, IS is the answer. Barring that, using your natural built-in tripod and the viewfinder is the next best, when all else fails, go to a real honest to Goodness, tripod.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:45 AM   #60

Yes Sarah, it is certainly educational when you put it to the test, incidently that is a very crisp shot of youself, interested to know if this was taken with your Fuji 6000 or something else, I can't read the EXIF on this shot.

Regards Wirraway
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote