Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:19 AM   #61

Yes the Camera is the F30. the room itself was in total darkness, the only light comimg into the room was from the ddorway of the other office.I love the low light capabilities of the fuji. I don't expect to take low light pixexclusively, but it's nice to know that I can get something acceptable without flash.
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:19 AM   #62

I must be getting dumb...I can't seem to find those F30 pics on the Fuji forum.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:20 AM   #63

Correct, Rinnie!
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:26 AM   #64

Hi Shari,

The camera is the Fuji F30

Irene
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:37 AM   #65

Sorry Rinnie, no you are not dumb, I should have posted the Fuji forum on dpreview, my mistake which I will correct now.

Regards Wirraway
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:55 AM   #66

The Canon SD800 IS that i'm trying will be coming on Dec 14th. I'll do the same pictures of the office with the Canon. As for the viewfinder/stability issue, you'reright that the viewfinder makes forbetter stability. I'll have to try turning IS off (if possible) and using the viewfinder vs lcd on the Canon. TheCanon has a viewfinder. One of the things that I find so odd is that NONE of the reviews really bring up the issue of camera shake in their tests. In fact, one reviewer mentioned the viewfinder of the Canon as being dinky... better than no viewfinder forcertain conditions.... It almost seemed as though it was there, but why would anyone use it if they didn't have to - especially since there's a nice, large, bright lcd screen that you could use.... I'll see how the testing goes. I'll have to get out to a store to see the panasonic this weekend.

Irene
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:21 AM   #67

Look forward to your extream test with the Canon 800is, a quick look on dcresource reports the ISO is pretty good at 400 with 800 being ok for smaller prints, got to admit I have not tried one when I got the Sony, but after my tests today, the Canon may do the trick for you with the IS on board as well as a viewfinder.

Regards Wirraway

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:42 AM   #68

Yes, Whirraway. The Canon with IS may meet the majority of my picture taking needs. I like the fact that Canon DS800 has image stabilization. And a friend of mine has a huge level of respect for Canon and says that Canon is very hard to beat for "out of the box, snap the shutter and get beautiful pix on auto". I'm excited and anxious to get my hands on the cam and try it out!

While I don't expect to routinely take pictures like the ones in the dark room test, it's nice to know that I can if I need to.I doubt - even though the ISO goes to 1600 on the Canon, that it will get the same picture qualityin darkness as Fuji can do. My family hate flash pictures in dim rooms - in fact some relly's have been so surly to my husband that he won't take any pictures anymore. That's why low light pictures without flash are important to me. Just not the only thing I'll be taking pix of.

Irene
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:04 PM   #69

Irene and Shari-

Look at it this way: The camera brand really does not matter at all, as long as you are really getting the photos that you want and need. I have no special brand loyalty.

MT/Sharh
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:07 PM   #70

Hi - I'm off now to see if I can find the Canon SD800 IS in our stores here in Canada and to look at the Sony W100. Both of these cameras will also require a new card as I presently have two Fuji cameras. I think I have been talked into getting a veiwfinder. I want the best camera for taking photos on the "P" setting so I can change but when I want to just snap - the camerawill takea good photo. If I am going to go out shooting flowers, trees or scenery I would take my S5200 with a tripod (until I get better and may upgrade on that camera too). I have to remember that THIS IS A HOBBY FOR ME and once it starts to get stress ful - it's not a hobby. I just know when I got home from a party last Saturday with shots from my Fuji F700 in low light they were all blurry. Since then I have taken photos at home in low light with that camera that are fine but I don't know whatI did different!!! I don't want to have to worry if the photos are blurry. - Ooops went on a bit long - off tocheck out some cameras. Thanks for all your helpful info all of you and Sarah have a safe and wonderful trip.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote