Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:19 PM   #71

Sorry - I missed the last page of these posts. Irene I love that you are doing all this testing for me. My problem is that Santa really wants to have something under the tree for me. The store we deal with has a 15 day no questions asked money return - so I may just pick something I like and have the fun of trying Christmas morning - only to return. When you say you are going to look at the Panasonic. I liked the FX01 and the FX50 because had wideangle lens and very compact - but again no viewfinder. I am also taking my travel bag with me today because I want it to fit. This was a very expensive bag with an odd shape. I use it on all vacations and some weekends around town. Would like the camera to fit in the bag. We can't have everything can we!!!!

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:19 PM   #72

Shari,

Did you try taking pix using the stance that I described? I don't know that it'll help in extreme low light without flash, but it should improve things somewhat.

As for the cameras, I can't say about the Sony, but the Canon has no internal memory at least I don't think it does... When I tried snapping pix with it in Circuit City, I got a message that it couldn't record - no card was in the camera. Not a problem for me, since I have SD cards.

Have fun shopping!

Irene
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:24 PM   #73

Yes Irene - I did try the stance you said and that is how I got my better shots even tho my Fuji F700 has a viewfinder and only a 1.8 LCD screen. Soooo that got me thinking maybe I could handle no viewfinder - then I get all these posts from my friends on another forum saying that I really should have the viewfinder. I have to say to myself that this is not life and death. There will be a slew of new cameras out again by next year at this time!!!! Thanks for your help.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:36 PM   #74

Shari and all,

I meantSony - not Panasonic! I haven't tried any Panasonics. I want to limit my choice initially to these 2 cameras for trying in hand... if i am not happy overallwith either of them, I'll seriously consider something else. Best Buy or Circuit Citymay have the Sony W100that Whirraway mentioned- I'll get there this weekend hopefull to check it out.

Irene
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:37 PM   #75

Shari,

You're right! This is not life or death! And there will be lots of cams this time next year.... This is supposed to be fun.

Irene
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:20 PM   #76

Shari and Irene-

Please don't wear out. The search continues. This morning I gave a barrowed Kodak C-875 a try. Here is one taken at ISO 400. As the light level falls I will try another at ISO 800.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:40 PM   #77

Sarah,

Love the picture! I can't wait to see the next one. Me wear out? Nah!!! I just wanted to put it into perspective...

I'm getting the idea that:

1) There's not a perfect camera that will have everything...
2) A camera is not a lifetime purchase - especially in the digi market!
3) As newer features evolve I'll want to change cams
4) There's always going to be newer, faster, better later... but there are many photo opportunities NOW - so choosing something is better than waiting with nothing in hand to capture now...

Shari, since number 4 doesn't apply to you as you have 2 cameras, have fun with the shopping - there really is no pressure for you.

I looked into the photography class offering in the local comm college. The courses are all online. Do you recommend looking at a college that has in person classes, Sarah, or would online be good/preferrable? The cost is not too bad - 6 weeks/$79. But I just don't know if the online is as good as live classroom instruction. If online IS good, then any idea how the comm college offerings differ from non-community college photography instruction courses that are available on-line? TIA for any info you can give to help steer me...

Irene
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:15 PM   #78

Irene-

The C-875 gambit is just an experiment. Thus far, I am impressed with the camera. It is on sale at www.costco.com for $169.99, which makes it rather affordable, and sort of instep with your latest post. The C-875 does not have IS, but I had no trouble at arms length with ISO 400. I will keep you posted.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:27 PM   #79

I own a Kodak dx something or other 4.0 mp camera which I purchased about 2 years ago... could be 3... time flies whether or not your having fun, I say!

I am turned off to kodak because although my camera didn't have heavy use, and was never abused, I noticed that the battery was consistently failing to charge properly one day. I then eventually realized that even with AA alkaline batteries the camera was not right... Eventually it dawned on me that something was wrong with the camera's power supply. I don't know if it's a short, defect or what. But even when the camera is OFF, it wears down brand new, fresh AA batteries within a few hours or a day or so.... so unless it's wayyyyy better than the fuji, no thanks...

But it's a very nice picture of you!

Irene
Old Dec 9, 2006, 5:19 PM   #80

Irene-

I put two fresh NiMh batteries, AA sized batteries in this camera a week ago and it is still going like gang busters. Yes, I held the same opinion of Kodak cameras. Then listening to my friend, I began to realize that Kodak had made a real change and they were putting out some very creditable cameras now.

Like your Canon friend, my friend, Joan is a real Kodak fan. So when she handed me the camera a week ago and simply said try it and tell me what you think, I could hardly say no to her. Thus far, I am indeed impressed. The build quality is entirely different, and much better. The camer is small, well priced, and easily fits in any purse. I will have more samples for you later this afternoon.

MT/Sarah