Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:09 PM   #81

OK Irene and Sarah - Santa did his shopping. After three stores today and several last week - no luck with finding a Sony W100, the Canon SD800 with card was going to be about $730. I felt that was too much. I liked the Sony W50 but no IS. I think Santa wanted to buy as stocks are getting low and Santa's elves may not be able to replenish by the 25th. I think Santa bought the Canon SD700 and a high speed 1GB card. I know I liked the fact that it had IS, a viewfinder, histogram and a 4x zoom. It is teeny, weeny and will fit in my travel bag or any little zipper pocket. I took a photo in the shop with flash and at 800 ISO without flash and both good but the one without the flash better. There is a 15 day tryout period after Christmas and can be returned no questions. I remember when we bought our LCD TV and got High Def about two years ago - of course now the TV is less than half the price - but we have had two years of enjoying the clear picture when we watch our sports. Same with the camera - things will change and prices will drop but I remember when we started into computers all those years ago we were told that you had to jump on the rope sometime and just keep climbing!!! Now I should probably concentrate on all the photography gifts I am working on for Christmas.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:41 PM   #82

Shari and Irene-

Well Shari's shopping trip sounded like fun. I will be anxious to see the photos from the Canon SD 700 IS.

Well, here is the second wave from the barrowed Kodak C-875. The light was falling faster that I expected. This one is ISO 800 as promised, handheld, shutter speed 1/15, no flash of course. I would have like more shutter speed, and I probably could have had it if I tried the shot just 10 minutes earlier. Yes, there is some detectable camera movement, but it is not too bad.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:24 PM   #83

Shari,

I considered the SD700 too. I read a review that it's an especially great choice if you want to do portraits. It has IS which will really help you to get those clear shots. A friend has a Nikon S10 with VR, which is their name for IS. She is VERY happy with the stabilization and I'm sure you will be as well! It's great that you have a trial period and no questions asked return policy withthe camera.

I can't wait to see how you like the camera. I'll continue playing with different cameras. BTW: My Canon which is coming on Thursday was ordered from Costco, which came to about $400 US with tax and shipping. Don't know the exchange rate, but $700 + sounds high...

Irene

itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:35 PM   #84

Sarah,

Your husband seems such a cheerful and willing subject! When I try to get my husband or (heaven forbid) my teenage son to pose.... the expressions are absolutely funereal.... LOL!

I went to Circuit City and they had the Kodak 875 out on display. It's a little bigger than I would like. I don't want to go any larger than the Fuji F30 because I want to carry the camera with me all the time. The fuji just fits in the case I have - which just fits in my purse. I also need to watch the weight since a heavy purse makes my shoulders ache. I didn't find the Kodak to be heavy - just bulkier than I would like.

I am anxiously awaiting the SD800... I'll be sure to post pix.

Will you have access to this forum while you're away, Sarah? I certainly hope so! In any event, have a wonderful trip!

Irene
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:09 PM   #85

Irene-

No, unfortunately, when we are away on the cruise ship, it costs 75 cents per minute for internet time, so it is really prohibitive cost-wise. We will be back around 01/20.

Size-wise the C-875 can work for me. However, the ISO 800 top speed is a bit on nthe lean side. So,I will also keep looking. The Fuji S-6000 that I am shooting with now and carry all the time in my purse. Itis much bigger than I would like, butI am used to it.

Here is a S-6000 photo from this afternoon at Rite Aid Pharmacy. The light level in the store was quite nigh. So much so, that it surprized me.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:59 PM   #86

Sarah - you lucky thing. Are you giving classes on a cruise ship? When we were on our 23 day cruise last year from Vancouver to NY via the Panama one of the entertainers came on and off the ship by a ladder to the boat while we were moving. She was only on board for a few days. I don't remember that there were digital camera classes or I might have taken them. Of course then I had only my Fuji F700 and did not know a thing about cameras.

Irene - the Camera sells for $529. then we have 14% sales tax and the 1 G card that I needed (because my other cards are XD) was 79 and with tax - yea about $700. I did not know that you could order from Costco. I have only ever ordered from Amazon.

Since we are posting photos of ourselves here is one of me about a month ago taken with the Fuji F700 on auto.
Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:41 PM   #87

Shari-

Thanks for posting your photo Shari. It is a pleasure to meet you. Yes, we conduct workshops on cruise ships. That is what my husband and I have done for the last 10 years. In fact, the upcoming month long cruise in South America will make over 500+ cruises. However we enjoy it a lot.

Will we get a peek at some of those Canon photos soon from the new camera? It sounds that it is somewhat like the Kodak C-875 that I have on loan. ISO 800 is the top of the shop. I would like more ISO, but you cannot have everything.

I was surprised that I got by this evening with that photo of Bradley, (my husband). It was the handheld ISO 800 shot at a 1/15th shutterspeed. There is a bit of camera motion blur, but not much, the photo is still acceptable.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:06 PM   #88

Sarah, 'IF' Santa bought the camera today it does not get delivered until Christmas eve/morning so I cannot try it till then. I think the ISO will be fine for me. I am still learning and this little pocket camera is to have with me for quick shots. In the new year I want to take the notes from the class I took and go out with my S5200 and try to learn something about shutter and aperature. Then when I know more about what I am doing I can have the fun of upgrading that camera too!! As I said you are lucky - what a neat thing to do. When we went on that last cruise I had to spend an hour a day in the fantastic gym they had so I could enjoy eating. I guess by now you know how to order and not to over indulge on all those fancy desserts. Looking forward to your return. I will post some photos and you can tell me what I am doing wrong!!! Happy New Year.

Shari
Old Dec 10, 2006, 7:00 AM   #89

Here's2 of my test shots out of the Sony W100 shot inside the local shopping centre. Both images were edited in Elements 3

Camera: Sony DSC-W100

Handheld, ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/320th sec, exp bios -1.7

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 7:21 AM   #90

Shot 2, Handheld, ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/160th sec, exp bios -0.3

Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote