Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:34 PM   #1

I think I've narrowed my selection to 2 cameras. the Canon sd 800 is OR the fuji f31fd. Any opinionsthat mighthelp me to sort out which of would be the better camera for me?

I want to be able to get quick snap candids, indoor shots, some or many of which will be low/poor lighting. I'll also use the camera on vacations for indoor and outdoor shooting. I would ilke to have something that is sturdy, small and compact enough to keep with me in my purse so I can USE it. I am a novice regarding photography, so I really hope that by using a camera often I can learn effective lighting and composition techniques. In that regard my thoughts are that I'll need something which will produce good results on auto, while I learn how to make good use of the manual features of the camera.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Irene

itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:52 PM   #2

Irene-

The attached photo was taken with my Fuji S-6000fd which uses the F-30/F-31 platform for its imager and processor. It was taken in a local Optical Shop while I was waiting for my husband.

It was taken handheld, at an ISO setting of 800, with 1/34th a second shutter speed without flash.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3

Nice picture, Sarah. Any ideawhat kind of picture the canon sd800 IS would produce under those same conditions? I guess since I don't REALLY know I'm asking: The while the canon uses Image Stabilization technology, Fuji "accomplishes" image stabilization using high ISO's. Is there an advantage of one over the other that would clearly make one camera a better choice for me?
itzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:28 PM   #4

Irene-

The key is the ability to use high ISO settings without much visible noise. That is where the Fuji F-20 and F-30 shine. The same photo taken of my sample photo with the Canon SD-800 IS would show two things:

(1) A great deal of the water color effect where fine detail is turned to mush by the Canon SD-800 IS at high ISO settings.

(2) A lot of visible noise that could be seen in the photo. Yes, separate software programs such as Neat Image can reduce the visible noise in the photo, but it will happen at the measurable loss of fine detail in your photos.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:00 AM   #5

Hi Sarah - It's me again. Do you know the difference between the Fuji F30 and the F31fd (which I don't think is available in Canada yet)? Today I looked at some cameras and I decided with the bigger and clearer LCDscreen I could go without the viewfinder. I really want small for this camera. I decided the Canon A710 will not actually fit into my travel bag. What I am researching now are Fuji F30, Panasonic FX01 and FX50, Nikon S8. Santa was with me!! He said my pick! These are all in stock now. Any comments? Thanks.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:17 AM   #6

Shari-

All three are nice cameras. However, the Panasonics will show very visible noise in the photos when used at ISO settings of 200 or above. To achieve small, the Fuji F-20, F-30, and F-31fd are better choices. The only thing different between the F-30 and the F-31fd is the face detection system that is built into the camera's processor. Face Dectection is a nice feature. When the camera senses a face in the photo the focus and the exposure is altered to achieve the best photo of the face involved.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:04 PM   #7

Thanks Sarah - did you have any comment on the Nikon S8 - it has a 4 x optical zoom and was a pretty compact camera as well. When I look at the flyers,at the internet and at postings - there is just too much choice - just like when grocery shopping these days!! I am off to the gym now but in the afternoon I have to give this some serious thought. Thanks for your comments.

Shari
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:32 PM   #8

Shari-

I am a bit confused. I cannot find any Nikon S-8 model listed. Do you perhaps mean the wi-fi equipped S-6?

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:13 PM   #9

Hi Sarah - I just got home. Checked one of the reviews and it said at the bottom that this model only appears to be available in Canada (wonder why). It is 7.1 MB, 2.5 LCD, 2 modes for vibration reduction - ISO to 1600. It is very small and since Nikon is such a good name I thought it was worth considering. Maybe I will go on their forum and see if anyone has it. Thanks again.

Shari
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:48 PM   #10

Go for a DSLR with at least 6.1MP.
Billie Bob is offline   Reply With Quote