Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:19 PM   #1

I've researched and researched! I've read reviews and other posts which have been VERY helpful!! From those, I've eliminated the FZ7 and Kodak P712. I am leaning towards the H2 (would love the H5 also but a bit pricy for me right now). However, I have 3 kids who are competitive swimmers and I take a lot of action shots am afraid that the continuous mode is too slow. Any comments or experience with this would be helpful. I am a mid level photographer. I enjoy simple shooting in a hurry but appreciate the extra's too. My last camera was an old Olympus with an 8x zoom/4 MP and it was great outdoors but terrible indoors. I want to be sure this time.

Thanks a million!

Sharon
swim mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:35 PM   #2

Sharon-

Could you help us out a little with more info about the shooting environment, please? Are you taking photos in an indoor pool, like from the grandstand area? Or, are these mostly outdoor shots.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:20 PM   #3

Sarah,

I shoot out of doors only for the swim meets, usually in bright, sunny conditions though they swim year round so sometimes it's cloudy and rainy. I want the long zoom because I don't always have a poolside view, though sometimes I get lucky. I know I'm asking a lot in my price range but I also hate to sacrifice indoor quality as I did with my Olympus. Birthday parties, school eventsor just clowning around the house with my kids were hit and miss, mostly miss, even adjusting white balance. I want a reliable flash indoors-something I could even take nice portraits (not professional quality IS okay) of my kids if not wanting to give my entire check to the portrait studio that year! I am an avid scrapbooker and like to play with Photoshop Elements for some fun effects-collages, enhancements, etc but nothing too serious so the minute differences between great and superb quality aren't critical. I know this is my decision, but I do appreciate your (or any other) professional, well thought out input! It means a lot.

Thanks again,

Sharon
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:43 PM   #4

Hi Sharon, your kids swim outsideall year round? you must live in Florida or here in Queensland, I just got the H5 which is just the same peformance as the H2, with my limited testing works quite good indoors andshould be no problem with your all outdoor swimming shots.

Regards Wirraway
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:09 PM   #5

No, I live in Northern California, the water is heated but boy is it cold when they get out!!!! I bet they wished they were down there with you. Thanks for the input. Have you tried much in the way of continuous shooting. When I'm lucky enough to get close, I like to couch down and shoot continuously the length of the pool, that's where I've gotten my best shots, I just end up deleting fifty that have nothing but splash to get the one or two "wow" shots. Let me know what your experience is with that.

Thanks again,

Sharon
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:09 AM   #6

Sorry Sharon have not tried the continuous, I have mine set to Monitor focus, as I have bought 2 Sony's in the past 2 weeks I am trying to teach my wifeher W-100 and have only spent a few hours playing with the H5, we only have 10 days before a 31 day trip through S.E. Asia and I want to be sure she fully understands how to use her camera properly.

What time I have had with the H5, it works very well indoors with focus and the adjustable strengthflashis very nice, ISO 400 works well without a flash providing you clean up withnoise software, e.g. "Noise Ninja" "Noiseware".

I may be miss undestanding youhere, when you say continuous you may meanburst modewhich takes 3shots at a time, otherwise about a shot a second untill the memory card fills up or the batteries goes flat.

Regards Wirraway

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote