Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:30 PM   #1

Hi All,

I am interested in getting a new digital camera for Christmas and I think I have narrowed it down to the Sony H5 and the Fuji S6000, although I am leaning towards the H5. My current camera is a $30 Kodak Advantix I got for free in 1999. As you can see I will be stepping up quite a bit. It should also go without saying that I know very little about digital cameras.

Ihave done some research andI like theH5 because of its zoom capabilities, non-grainy evf (as compared to the S 6000),large lcd, and past experiences with Sony products. I have heard a lot of good things about the S 6000, but I don't know if manually turning the lens for zoom will be a frustrating affair being that I am a beginner, any suggestions on this? It is also my understanding that the S 6000 is better in low light conditions, is it that much better than the H5? The S 6000 also has a wider lense than the H5, would this be a positive or a negative in typical everyday pictures?

I willprimarily be taking pictures offamily indoors andout. Landscapes and animals would be too far behind. Basically the camera is not for a specific type of shooting, just your typical everyday amateur stuff.

Thanks
wannabhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:08 PM   #2

wannabhappy-

I am a digital camera instructor, so I own and use a lot of cameras, including the Sony H-5 and the Fuji S-6000/S-6500. Because of the many features, including IS and in having postivie experiences that would be both a plus and beneficial toward you moving forward in learning more about photography, I would suggest the Sony H-5 ultrazoom camera.

All too often I see and hear of students or other posters on this Forumthat become negative and discouraged by attempting to move up to a camera that sort of represents "a step too far." The Fuji S-6000/S-6500 does not have IS, it has only a fair EVF, and is more of an experienced user's camera. Thus, in your personal circumstances, I would suggest that you forego that camera.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:24 PM   #3

Mtclimber,

From reading your other posts, I am aware of your vast camera knowledge and I was hoping you would reply, thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:50 PM   #4

wannabhappy, DPReview has just posted their S6000fd review, including some comparo pics with the Sony H2.

Sarah, you're making me nervous - I know I'm getting the S6000fd as a Christmas present, and I hope it won't be too much for me!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:24 PM   #5

flipped-

I don't think that the Fuji S-6000/S-6500 will be too much for you at all. AsI have noted elsewhere, the camera has mass and size going for it, and you are very used to digital cameras without IS, and you are also used to selecting your own ISOsettings.

The S-6000 should not be a problem at all, as you are camera savy.

MT/Sarah

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:16 AM   #6

Thank you very much for the encouragement, Sarah.

Chris
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:42 AM   #7

Flipped-

Here is a Sony H-5 sunrise from this morning for you.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:45 AM   #8

From a usability perspective, a manual zoom ring is much more intuitive. I think just about any camera user would agree that it feels better than an electrical rocker switch. Don't let that feature scare you off.

If you want a super-zoom, have you considered the Canon S3IS ?

You might also want to consider some of the 3-6x zoom cameras too, they come in a little bit cheaper, and are great all-around tools for general photography.

wannabhappy wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Ihave done some research andI like theH5 because of its zoom capabilities, non-grainy evf (as compared to the S 6000),large lcd, and past experiences with Sony products. I have heard a lot of good things about the S 6000, but I don't know if manually turning the lens for zoom will be a frustrating affair being that I am a beginner, any suggestions on this? It is also my understanding that the S 6000 is better in low light conditions, is it that much better than the H5? The S 6000 also has a wider lense than the H5, would this be a positive or a negative in typical everyday pictures?

I willprimarily be taking pictures offamily indoors andout. Landscapes and animals would be too far behind. Basically the camera is not for a specific type of shooting, just your typical everyday amateur stuff.

Thanks
digraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:30 AM   #9

Take a look at the www.dpreview.com S-6000 review in the compared to section where they directly compare the S-6000 versus the Canon S-3 IS. I think you will be surprised.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:33 PM   #10

Flipped, Sarah, and Digraph,

Thank you Flipped and Sarah for the tip to look at DP Review, it was very helpful. I think I am going to go with the Sony H-5, but I am a little curious about the side-by-side comparison.I noticedthe Fuji S-6000 had better side-by-side sample picture results versus the Sony H-2. Is this something that I would notice as an amateur in my final printed pictures or something that I should be concerned about?

Digraph, thank you for your insight on the manual zoom ring, and I did consider the Canon S3. I decided to eliminate the Canon S3 because at about the same price and performance, the H-5 offered more features that would suit me better. That left the Fuji S-6000, which appealed to me for its picture quality as well as some of the other features that the H-5 had. In the end I decided on the H-5 because of it has IS and I feel like it will be a good camera to learn from without having to learn too much at one time. If I was moreexperienced, Iunderstand why I might go for the S-6000.

By the way Sarah, beautiful sunset.

David