Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:09 AM   #21

flippedgazelle wrote:
Quote:
Hey kodi, just my .02, but I would go with the H2. Imo, the extra $100 for the H5 is not good value for 1 extra megapixel and a larger LCD if the image quality is the same.

People probably buy Canon - whether there are problems or not - because of name recognition, and also I think Canon probably has the best top-to-bottom range of cameras you can get. I know several S2/S3 owners online and this is the very first I've heard of a memory card issue.

From the half-dozen or so professional reviews I've read, I believe the Sony H2/H5is as good - or better - than the Canon S3. I say this as a very happy Canon A620 owner and someone who does not like much of Sony's consumer electronics, which tend tobe way overrated (other than their top-of-the-line TV's) and overpriced. But hey, a good camera is a good camera, and I'd say you can't go wrong with either the H2 or H5. Happy shooting!

flippedgazelle,
Thank you for your opinion. My previous camera was a Sony Cybershot an old model but it worked great, so I gues Sony is a safe bet.

I've made up my mind to get a Sony H2 or H5, depending on what kind of a deal I get. If I get a really great deal on the H5 bringing the price difference closer I might go for it, if not it'll be the H2. I'm hoping, close X' Mas, they'll have better deals.
kodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:27 AM   #22

Kodi-

Everyone should get the camera they want and that best suits their needs. The H-2 should be more than adequate, as I mentioned yesterday. I feel they are excellent cameras. Use the money saved for a case, data cards, and accessories. Right now on the internet the Best Buy wedsite has the H-2 for $299.99 with free shipping.

Use that as a bench mark. If you find one lower than that you know that you have a good deal. Don't ignore the after Christmas period and in to January period either. That is a good time to find excellent deals.

I have used all of the ultrazooms and IMHO the H-2 and H-5 beat them all.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:01 AM   #23

I finally bought the H2. Best Buy had it for $301 and I figured it won't get any better than this. I also ordered a 2gb lexar mempry card.

I have a question, can I program it to first save the pictures to the memory card and then to the internal memory? The reaason I'm asking is, I would like to buy a memory card reader too instead of using the USB. But if it saves some images in internal memory then I have to use the USB to retrieve those.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:37 AM   #24

Hi Kodi, congrats on the new H2! The cheapest I've seen it recently from a reputable retailer on line is $290, so I'd say you got a good deal.

The camera will, by default, store images to the memory card. Only if a memory card is not present will it save images to the camera's internal memory.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:50 AM   #25

Thank you.

Is there memory card readers for the Pro Duo that will also read other SD cards?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:55 AM   #26

Yep, virtually all memory card readers will read SD and other flash formats. Check out your local consumer electronics/computer superstore or online sites such as Newegg.com, Amazon.com, Buy.com etc. Type "flash card reader" into the site's search field and you will get results.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:07 AM   #27

flippedgazelle wrote:
Quote:
Yep, virtually all memory card readers will read SD and other flash formats. Check out your local consumer electronics/computer superstore or online sites such as Newegg.com, Amazon.com, Buy.com etc. Type "flash card reader" into the site's search field and you will get results.
Will the regular card readers take the Pro Duo as its smaller than the standard SD cards.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:32 AM   #28

SD is one format - it stands for Secure Digital. There are a multitude of flash memory formats, such as SD, CF, XD, Memory Stick (MS), MS Pro, MS Duo, etc. Just look for a card reader that supports MS Pro Duo - and most of them do - and you will be fine.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:24 AM   #29

Thanks.