Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Advice in selecting a 12X DC!! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/108449-advice-selecting-12x-dc.html)

kodi Dec 6, 2006 5:35 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for a camera. I've narrowed it down to Canon S2 and Sony Cybershot H5. I would like a camera with 12X optical zoom. Browsing the forum I've learnt that lot of S2 users have this memory card error with canons and I really don't want to be in this situation. And users seem to complain about purple.... with the H5. Since both seem to have problems I would like your opinion in picking one.

This will be a family camera used on vacations etc. I really like the 12X and good Macro. Nothing special. I would like it to produce good night shots too. Max $400(I see the S2 at $279 and H5 at $389)

Thank you.

mtclimber Dec 6, 2006 5:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
kodi-

I happen to own both the Canon S-2 and the Sony H-5. My Canon had memory card issue and I finally got very frustrated. I bought the Sony H-5 as a replacement and it has really been a great camera.

Not only will it handle family events nicely but it has very nice high ISO performance.The attached photo was taken without flash, handheld, at ISO 400, and at a distance of about 60 feet.

MT/Sarah

kodi Dec 6, 2006 9:28 PM

I went to the store today to get a feel for both cameras. I found the S2 to be user friendly than the H5. Maybe it just need to get used to. How did you feel when you first switched?

mtclimber Dec 7, 2006 6:15 AM

Kodi-

There was some transition needed. Primarily I had to get used to the new control placement. All in all I have very much enjoyed the Sony H-5 experience.

MT/Sarah

Shatsi Dec 7, 2006 10:53 AM

nice pic.

kodi Dec 7, 2006 11:33 AM

Thank you mtclimber.

I'm just wondering why does people keep buying the Canons knowing they have this memory card problem and I can't imagine why Canon is not coming up with a solution.

I'm going to wait a little before I order the H5,hoping close to X'mas they'll offer better deals.

I assume I can use either scandisk or sony pro duo sticks? Its there a particular memory stick that'll make the writting faster? 2GB is enough?

Also, a camera bag?

Sorry for the many questions!!

bobbyz Dec 7, 2006 11:58 AM

kodi wrote:
Quote:

I'm just wondering why does people keep buying the Canons knowing they have this memory card problem and I can't imagine why Canon is not coming up with a solution.
S2 is discontinued, isn't it. The new camera is S3.

kodi Dec 7, 2006 12:31 PM

Yes, S2 is discontinued but S3 seem to have the same roblem. And people are still buying the S2 anyway.

mtclimber Dec 7, 2006 12:48 PM

Kodi-

Yes, the H-2 or H-5 can use either the Sony or Lexar Pro Duo.

MT/Sarah

kodi Dec 9, 2006 8:29 AM

mtclimber, tis he H2 equally good as the H5? For a price difference of $100 I might go for the H2. I guess the H2 is not available in black?