Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:40 AM   #1

I currently have the Sony F828 and have been very happy with it. Been thinking of upgrading to the Nikon D80 only because I have an investment in older Nikon ED lenses. Hate to give up the light weight of the Sony but is the picture quality I might get with Nikon that much better? Unfortunately most of what I do today is family stuff that gets printed to a 4x6 and stuck in an album. Only reason I'm considering is that all my lenses are gathering dust.

Thanks in advance....

Steve
stevenfstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:46 PM   #2

Steve-

If you have a substantial investment in Nikkor lenses, the choice when checking out DSLR cameras becomes the D-50 and the D-80. The D-40 is rather limited in the number of lenses that it can utilize. I agree with you that the D-80 is an excellent choice, as it gives you the greatest expanability for large enlargements, a great deal of leeway when cropping, and great photo quality. I use the D-50 and have felt constrained at times due to the 6mp image.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:29 PM   #3

I've had a lot of experience with the Sony F828. My current camera is a Canon Rebel XT.

If you just take a picture in bright daylight, then look at both side by side with the d80 and 828 theres not gonna be much if any noticeable difference. The 828 is a good camera, and they are fun to play with. The main difference's between these two cameras are gonna be for one, the amount of noise in the pictures. If you look at an 828 picture @ 100% you can see noise even at iso64. The d80 probably will have about as much noise at 400iso as the 828 does at 64. With the dslr you can crank the ISO up and still get nice quality pictures at iso800. ANother major difference, the speed of the focus and shutter of the slr. You can snap pictures just about as fast as you can hit the button. The 828 has major focus lag and shutter lag also. Thats just some things to think about. The downside of the SLR is no previewing with the LCD. Makes it hard on fat dudes like me
Stump1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:09 AM   #4

Stump1000-

You raise some excellent points. At least for me, I would rather have to Nikon D-80 more than the 828, purely due to all thadvantages that an SLR can bring to the table photographically. I am not anti Sony, I shoot with an H-5 and a R-1, there is just more you can do with a DSLR camera.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote