Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:22 PM   #11

Well, I thought that I'd buy today, but I decided to take a day off and not think too much about it .

That said, I read everything that's available about the K10D. The UK is having a serious supply problem, but rumour has it that it will arrive Monday. I don't think that it will work for me, though. The Nikon (and 100D) are already a tad heavy, especially compared to the Canon, and the 10D is a fair bit heavier again.

What else will I need to buy with any camera? Should I get software? cards? photo printing? case? tripod? filters? I think that they are happy to doa package deal so I'd like to include as much as possible. I think that I'll probably only get one 'walking around' lens to start, and then decide later about other lenses.

Thanks for all the advice,

Dr. PITUK
painintheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 5:54 PM   #12
Super Moderator

If I were getting a Nikon I would make every effort to get it with the 18-200 VR lens.

It's a stunning combo.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:21 AM   #13

For your other items - definitely cards, extra battery(s), case. Forother items,think of what you are willing to drag around before you buy.

Software depends on what you already have for graphics/photo manipulation. All of the cameras come with software to do basic developing/viewing, so you might want to hold off before buying something (unless you particularly want Photoshop, my long-timefavorite program but expensive - there are some free and inexpensive photo software that might be better for you).

A tripod is always nice to have, but be careful which one you buy - with your list of activities I'd probably look at a monopod first (I just won't carry a tripod hiking, a monopod does nicely as a walking stick, so I'll carry that). Or better yet, forget either one for the time being, get used to using whichever camera you buy and then decide what you really want (sturdy vs. light-weight).

With your list of activities, I'd definitely buy a circular polarizer, possibly a graduated ND and a straight ND filter. That's about all I ever think of using when it comes to filters. Most other filter effects can be handled by software.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:17 AM   #14

Hi all,

Well, today I finally did it. I have agonized over it for too long, and almost surely too much . I went and played with them again today with more equivalent lenses (makes a HUGE difference!). There was one that just felt more right.

I ended up buying the Nikon D80 with the kit 18-135 lens. I thought about the 18-200VR, but it would have been an extra 300+ quid, quite a delay, more bulky and, frankly, just too much lens for me right now . Once I've played with this for a while I can decide which way to go on lenses. I am pretty disappointed about the RAW editing software just being a trial, but once I get to the point of being able to think about RAW instead of JPG I can worry about picking up something retail or freeware. I also picked up memory (I have SD with my Optio, so there's some overlap), a case and a clear filter to protect the lens. Again, I want to learn more before I think about the fancier filters.

I wanted to love the Canon, but it just wasn't happening. It would have made some things much easier given the better software, lighter weight and having 2 friends who also have Canon (with accessories ). I also seriously considered the K10, which has such a great feature set, but it's just that much bigger than the already largish Nikon - and the Nikon really does feel right .

I have a LOT to learn now!

Thanks for all your help.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:59 AM   #15

congratulations. Don't second guess yourself. How a camera feels in your hands is extremely important. No need to regret the decision or feel bad about that (and I say that as a Canon guy myself).

Enjoy your new toy and have fun learning
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:20 PM   #16

Thanks JohnG. It's been hanging around my neck for the last 3 hours- definitely heavier than my Optio, but I like it .

I am starting to feel seriously intimidated by it! I'm working through the tutorial in the manual, but just figuring our where to start is hard! I wish that my course was starting tomorrow .

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:26 PM   #17

Dr. PitUK-

Congratulations! You have crossed those turbulent waters. Now it is time to enhance your skills! We look forward to your posted samples.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:50 AM   #18

Well, after some panic due to a faulty memory card, I took some photos and they transfered no problem. Here's a sample of one of the local paddlers about 500m from my house. They all came out a bit darker than I would have liked. I also noticed (after the fact) that for some reason the ISO was set to 1000! Otherwise it was on P and this was taken in burst mode

Edit: also added a closeup. Last one for this thread .

Thanks again for the help,

Dr. PITUK

Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:13 AM   #19

Oops. Here it is...
Attached Images