Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:23 PM   #1

I was debating to get a new InfiLithium battery or simply get a new camera, it sometimes charges, sometimes doesn't, sometimes says its fully charged, then dies 2 minutes later. I got that camera as a semi gift from someone who was replacing their camera. That was the battery that they gave me and it worked well for a year or so. Its a great camera, takes good 4x6 pictures (which is really all I need from a camera). It can take up to a 128MB Memory Stick and that gets me around 130 pictures on highest.

The Kodak C533 has cought my eye. The main thing that concerns me is battery life. They don't offer an Lithium Ion rechargables. Just disposable version called "CVR3". Energizer makes a version called "ER-CRV3C" but states is a NiMh.

I'm looking to keep the price under $150 US but that is becoming incresingly harder.

Do any of you have suggestions for a good step-up replacement or should I just keep the camera I know SD card compatible would be good since I have some 1GB versions of those.
EGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:36 PM   #2

That camera can use rechargeable AA batteries. Get some and a charger for $30 or less and save yourself a bundle.

If you want to replace the camera, I suggest the Canon A530. You should be able to get it for less than $140 online.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:03 PM   #3

Well the thing eats any AA battery I put in it very quickly, the viewfinder isn't exactly perfect with how it centers so I have to use the LCD. When the battery works right I can usually squeak out well over 90 minutes if I really was snapping them off quick.

The reason I'm eyeing the Kodak is because I can snatch it for about just over 100 bucks.

Looking at the canon I will consider it. It seems to only have AA batteries as an option which isn't something that I like (reading the forums somemore I see there are options to recharge CVR3's).

One thing I like about my cybershot is the fact that all I have to do is plug it in to the ac adapter and it will charge up.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:35 PM   #4

If you want to buy a new camera, that's great. I think if you use rechargeable AA's (2300 to 2600 mAh), I think you would get a lot longer without having to change them.

Kodaks are easy to use usually. You can get a 6 megapixel Kodak C643 at Walmart for less than $150.

You can get a 4 megapixel C433 for less than $80 at Buy.com.

If you are willing to pay $159, you can get a very highly rated Canon A540. It's a camera you can grow into. I had the A530 which is similar, and which uses AA batteries. With rechargeable AA's I was able to take 200 shots without recharging.

Good luck.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:11 PM   #5

I have looked a bit closer at the Canon and I like that it offers a 4x optical and allows you to hear the video you just recorded. I'll continue to consider.

I was hoping to aviod having to buy a battery charger, I think I may just end up sticking with my cybershot for a bit and getting the replacement battary...but a nice new shiny camera would be nice

Right now threw a google check out I can get the Kodak with the recharable pack for $124. Thats a heck of a deal for it. I think I may pull the trigger on it. The sony battary pack is expensive, lasts awhile, but expensive to replace, for 2 sony InfoLiths I can but that Kodak, and I think I will.

Gonna think about a bit more, maybe overnight but for some reason that Kodak is calling my name.

EDIT: Should also mention since my current camera is 2.1 MP that is basically all I need for 4x6 300DPI prints. Just more for me to think about I guess. With 5MP it would be nice knowing I could make big prints but I don't know if I really need that. Then again in lower lite situations this camera isn't so good.

What I hate is the distortion I got at the auto show in a well lit room, didn't really brighten up the colors they way I was hoping, the Kodak from the review on this site seems to have the options and settings that I would need to get nice crisp clear pictures of anything (I'm kinda a car nut :-)). It seems like the perfect casual use camera for me.

I do however have a question about NiMh batteries, how long do they hold a charge if left sitting for a bit, that was on thing I liked about the Lithium, it held a charge well.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:35 AM   #6

EGreen-

I am guessing, as I have never really made a specific test, but the NiMh batteries seem to hold their charge for about a week. Have you checked ebay? They have lots of replacement batteries over there. Also, I believe that Walmart has the Kodak C-743, a nice 7mp C model on sale in our are this week for $149.95. In as much as it is Walmart, you would have 30 days to try it. Then if you did not like it, you could return it for a no questions asked refund.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote