Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:03 PM   #1

Or any other comparable camera. I have a rebel xt but I want another non slr camera to have also. I want something with decent zoom and I really like the Sony R1. I would really like a comparison between the two but can't find one anywhere online. What are your personal opinions and why? THanks!
Stump1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:02 AM   #2

Stump1000-

It is just an observation, but I have two students who have been searching for a week for any remaining Sony R-1 cameras, and they cannot find a single one, anywhere in the USA.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:11 PM   #3

I didn't know they stopped making them. But your right, they did. Here's a store where i live that has two left.

Wolf Camera
West Town Mall
7600 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
Phone: 865-691-0344
Stump1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:14 PM   #4

There is your chance, Stump1000-

In fairness to you I won't tell my students till Monday. Now you have a REAL decision to make. BTW what is the price?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:48 PM   #5

I don't understand what you would gain with the R1 over your DSLR unless you make really large prints, and even then the 2 MP isn't huge.

I think you have to refine "decent zoom". The two cameras are totally different in concept. With the R1 you have only 120mm equivalent telephoto but get a great 24mm wide. The FZ50 gives you a 420mm stabilized telephoto but only a fairly normal wide of 35mm.

If you shoot a lot of wildlife or have other requirements for a long zoom the FZ50 is the obvious choice. You can add adapters to the R1 to get more telephoto range, but it would be better and more economic to buy a telephoto for your Canon.

If you are into post processing you can get good prints from the FZ50 using noise reduction. You wouldn't require noise reduction for an 8 X 10 in good light using low ISO. If you have to crank up the ISO to capture action the noise increases to where it is annoying. Try one in a store – the FZ50 is a large camera.

The R1 doesn't really make sense to me except for specialized photography that requires a good wide angle and doesn't require much telephoto. That is a good range for general photography, but you would have a lot more versatility spending the money on lenses for your XT.

It seems a sensible choice for a second camera for a DSLR owner would be one you could carry around more easily.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote