Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:52 PM   #1

We could use some guidance, please.

We shoot in low-light settings (using a tripod) in a confined space. We need a camera that does very well with color and clarity in low light.

We use the images primarily for Powerpoint and Web-based presentations.

We were interested in the Canon EOS Rebel XTi; however, the decision was made that we should pursue something less "professional-grade"

We are now looking for something in the $500 range that is great at capturing color display images in low light. Color accuracy and image clarity are more important than high megapixels (I presume a 5 mp camera would be more than sufficient).

Added bonus would be ease of use.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks!

scrintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:03 PM   #2
Administrator

If you can use a tripod and the subjects are stationary, then many cameras would be suitable since you can leave the ISO speed set low.

As for color accuracy *none* of them are going to be good in artificial lighting without a flash. So, I'd make sure the model you buy has a Custom White Balance feature available. This allows you to set the White Balance to the temperature of the lighting using a Photographic Gray or White Card. Otherwise, you may have more color cast that desired (orange photos in tungston light, green photos in flourescent lighting, etc.).

A camera capable of shooting in RAW would be even better (so that you have more control over it when processing the photos with software).

If you plan on using it for closeups, I'd also make sure Aperture Priority is an available feature so that you can increase Depth of Field by using a smaller aperture (higher f/stop) when desired.

If light is very low, I'd make sure you have manual exposure available and that you can set shutter speeds as long as desired. Manual focus may also be a desired feature if light is so low the Autofocus had a problem with it.

If you plan on using a flash instead of natural or artificial lighting, a hotshoe and PC Sync Port would be good feature to have so that you can an external flash.

What kind of subjects, what lighting?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:20 PM   #3

scrintn-

Two cameras come to mind that might fill your requirements. They are the Sony H-5 which has IS and does very well in low light level shooting at ISO 400. Here is a sample from the H-5 it was taken atISO 400, handheld, tungsten WB, without flash, from a distance of about 60 feet using the H-5's zoom feature.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:24 PM   #4

scrintn-

Here is the second possible camera that I was thinking that you might want to consider. It is the Fuji S-6000. This camera is sold overseas as the Fuji S-6500. This photo was taken handheld, ISO 800, tungesten WB, and no flash.

The Fuji S-6000 features a lens with 28 to 300mm zoom.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote