Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:08 AM   #1

Have any of you tried the K10D in a sports situation? I used the Pentax *ist DL with the F1.4 50mm lens for volleyball this fall. I had a few shots that were OK (by my standards) but missed a lot because the camera takes forever to focus. This is in an old elementary school gym with terrible lighting.

I enjoy taking pictures of these young kids and would like the pictures to be a little nicer for them. Would I be able to focus much faster if I upgraded to the K10D? How does the K10D compare to the Canon 30D/Nikon D80 in terms of focus speed?

I've purchased several lenses for my DL and would like to stay with Pentax unless the Canon or Nikon would be SIGNIFICANTLY better. (I should also add that I would really like the SR of the Pentax.) Basketball is now getting underway so I'm considering making a switch.

Thank you,

Karen
techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:34 AM   #2

Karen,

Also keep in mind that a 50mm lens isn't really designed to focus well past 15 feet or so. So if you're attempting to shoot targets 30 feet away that are moving, you're going to run into an issue with many cameras.

Any lens has more issues as you reach infinity on the focus for that lens.

So, while I can't comment on the focus speed of that particular camera, it is important to stay within the limitations of both camera AND lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the response, John. I was pleased with the 50mm lens when we played in a gym with decent lighting. Unfortunately, the lighting in our home gym is not nearly as good. That's why I thought a camera with faster AF might help.

Karen
techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote