Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:23 PM   #1

Need a camera for my girlfriend and am stuggling between these two. Please help!!!
LookingtoBuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:49 PM   #2

I don't think you would go wrong with either.

The SD800 is a little larger and probably doesn't have the sexy appeal of the T50. But I find wide angle to be very useful for general purpose photography. I also much prefer having an optical viewfinder, but girlfriends often tend to not use them even if the camera has one. I think the small folding lens Sonys count on the higher ISO to rate their flashes. I suspect that if you compare oranges to oranges and put the SD800 on ISO 400 it will have a much more powerful flash.

Some people really like the touch screen on the T50 and others hate it. It would probably be great for someone without preconceptions of how it should work. Sony is the only company I know of currently putting transflective LCDs on their digital cameras, so the lack of an optical finder probably wouldn't be a disadvantage in bright sunlight.

Both cameras are good through ISO 400 but the image gets pretty noisy above that. Neither camera will be very good in limited light without the flash shooting anything moving. If she tends to take a lot of party and club shots without a flash you might consider the Fuji F30. It is a little bulkier and not very appealing in looks, which might be significant to a girlfriend. But it is great in limited light. Unfortunately the LCD isn't great in bright sunlight and it has no optical viewfinder. People who own them really like them though.

I would personally opt for the SD800, but I'm not your girlfriend. If I were buying for a generic girlfriend I would probably get the T50.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:08 PM   #3

Slipe,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thank you very much. I think you completely understand my dilemma. If it was for me I think the Canon is a slightly better camera but I know she will love the look of the Sony. I have a hard time buying on looks over ability but I may have to in this case.
LookingtoBuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:12 PM   #4

It isn't like you would be buying a limited camera to get the sexiness. The T50 is a very good little camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:11 AM   #5

Hi, see the link below to compare these two cameras:

http://www1.shopping.com/xSBS-camera...77807-37053354

Hope this helps!
Active_Matcher is offline   Reply With Quote