Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:15 PM   #1

This should be easy, but other forums and owners nit picking things apart makes sometimes the simple things very difficult for us novices.

I desire to get my perfect wife an Ultra Compact that is

1. Easy to use

2. Takes great pictures

3 Image Stabilization

4 Price between $190 to $280????

If there isn't an ultra compact thats any good, then whats the best compact ?
Is there something coming out first of next year making it wise to wait?
Thanks

Rich

I was concidering the panasonic, fuji f-30 and casio, but then the personal comments of owners tearing the cameras apart and THEN leaving 5 stars makes things really confusing..........

Richard1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:31 PM   #2

Rich-

I am not sure if you would consider the kodak C-875 or C-743 as ultra small cameras, but they will easily fit in a woman's purse. I know as I am aboth a C-875 and a C-743 owner. They both fit into my purse quite easily.

And best of all, they sell for just$US 140.00 to $US 170.00 depending on the camera. Yes if you feel so inclined you can also take a look at the Fuji F-20 camera as well, but the kodak C-875 with ISO settings up to ISO 800 will most probably cover your needs.

Here is a nice Kodak C975 sample photo, taken INSIDE, without flash, at ISO 400. Do that look like what you want. If not please let us know a few more setails, won't you, please?

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:02 PM   #3

Hi Rich, I'm hardly an expert, but here's my $.02 for what it's worth:

Panasonic images are often too noisy, especially when ISO is at 200 or higher. This can be somewhat mitigated by using programs such as Neat Image, Noise Ninja, etc.

Casio just leaves me cold - I'vesimply not encountered a Casio camerathat has impressed me.

Fuji F20/F30 does not have true image stabilization. However, it does do far better at high ISOs than other non-DSLR cameras. The benefit to using a high ISO is that it helps compensate not only hand movement, but also subject movement. Of course, higher ISO = higher noise, but less than other cameras.

What kind of photographer is your wife, and what kind of photography does she plan on doing? There are so many different definitions of a "great picture" - mine are probably different than yours - that it is nearly impossible for someone else to guarantee this for you. Generally speaking, you don't use a camera in "Auto Mode" to get great pictures.

Anyway, while typing this responseto your question, this happened:

One of my cats came up tothe Christmas tree, and I thought it would be a very cute picture. There is one 60w lamp on in the room, andalso the tree's lights, so llighting is pretty dim. While my cat, Gidget, was snooping around the tree, I grabbed my CanonPowershot A620, which isconsidered a very fine point-n-shoot camera. I quickly snapped the first picture, and the flash fired. I then turned off the flash, boosted the ISO, and lengthened the shutter. The tree was slightly blurry, Gidget the Cat was one extremely blurry calico, and the whole scene was too dark. After that, the opportunity was gone.

The 1st picture (with the flash) came out reasonably sharp, but everything had that bright-yet-dull built-in flash look. There was absolutely no mood in the photo, and you can barely discern the Christmas tree's lights were on.

I'm sorry to prattle on like this, but my point is this: had I a more appropriate camera - say the Fuji F30 - I would have turned off the flash, boosted the ISOto 1600or even3200, had a shutter of 1/20 or quicker, and probably would have caught a somewhat noisy, but memorable, photo. The Fuji is the only small camera capable of this.

Chris
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I REALLY appreciated them

I've decided against the f-30 because my wife is NOT that great with anything electronic, period! I've read too many reviews where they have come out and actually said, NOT FOR A NOVICE, Oh well.

I guess I need to get her something that she can just pick up and shoot. Maybe a 'Brownie" would be best LOL !!!

Anyway, I am going to check out the Kodaks, and after I posted my question (Newbie just starting to learn the site) I noticed Steves section called "Best Cameras' This was VERY VERY Helpful! Wow, I just wonder if they are listed in order or recommendations?

Oh, as to the Casio, I tend to agree. I compared pictures of the Casios and they didn't seem as good as the Canons or the Sony. Also, when I handled one it seems that the lens on both camera's I tried seemed to 'catch' when the lens came out or went in.

This is a great site, people helping people without the Pro Technical jargon to confuse me. I'm and old TriX Pan shooter who left photography 2o years ago. This digital stuff is different in many ways so I'm starting all over :-)

Thanks all, will check back tomorrow.

Richard

Richard1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:59 PM   #5

Rich-

The simplest cameras will be the kodak cameras, and they are very good. The C-875 is actually on sale at www.costco.com where it is priced at just $169.00, a very low price for such an advanced digital camera. Please take a look, won't you. Thanks!

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:07 PM   #6

Steve's recommendations are not in any order of preference, afaik.

I actually haverecently had a similar conversation with my brother - really a couple of them over the last 2 weekends - regarding an ultracompact for his girlfriend. The Sony T10 wound up being the choice, as a stylish, simple ultracompact.

BTW, even though there seems to be a dearth of "professional" reviews of the Kodak c875, there seem to be enough very satisfied owners. I bet it's a good choice for you!

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:07 PM   #7

Sarah, if you have a chance, could you please post a low light, ISO 800 pic from the c875? I know you are a busy person, so please don't feel obligated to answer my request!

Since I know I'm getting the FujiS6000, I'm looking to replace my Canon A620 with something smaller. I'd love to get fairly decent low light performance and save $100 or more over a Fuji F30.

In fact, I think I'll ask my mom to pick up the Kodak for me, since she's a Costco member and if I don't like itshe can return it.

Here's apic of one of my baby boys; his name is Yeats. Basically, I set my A620 of the coffee table and used a shutter of something like 1 sec.

Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:12 PM   #8

Rich-

Here is a direct link to a professional Kodak C-875 review:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...easyshare+c875

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:32 AM   #9

Got the "task" to choose a new digicam for my father-in-law and with the numbers I know (more than 3x zoom, 5mp+, more bells and whistles than the old entry-level Fuji pocket cam) I try to find one at a budget.

And guess what? I found the C875... ISO800, easy handling, ok price.

This comes from just holding and operating it in the store, can't comment on image quality. But handling definitely is easy and the bang-for-the-buck factor is very good.

I will prolly order via Amazon - which has the best price for it here in Germany.

Other possible choices:
- Oly FE200
- Panasonic DMC-LZ5
- Nikon Coolpix L5
- Canon Powershot A710IS
- Oly SP510

but... I can get the C875 for 179,00 EUR - where all others start well above 200! Can throw in a SD card for the savings

my 2 cents
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:25 PM   #10

thkn and Chris-

Per your request, here is a photo taken handheld with the C-875 at a 1/15th shutterspeed. That is really pushing the C-875 to the limits. There is some camera movement in the photo, but it is minor, and within the acceptable range. all in all I think the C-875 is a great little camera for the price and optical zoom.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images