Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Panasonic FZ7 or pentax K110D
Panasonic FZ7 1 16.67%
pentax K110D 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:48 PM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
ndnboy321 wrote:
Quote:
I really like photography and i always use the manual features;
Quote:
the K110 is 150 dollars more expensive
the Fz7 has 12x zoom and IS
the K110 has a better sensor
the K110 IS A DSLR
There's been quite a bit of discussion above about whether a high-end p&s is better than a dSLR, and everyone seems to be saying the same thing - the answer is: it depends.

The first statement leads me to believe that a dSLR may definitely be in your future -just whether it isnow or not is the question.

1. A dSLR will beMUCH heavier, and ultimately more expensive if you try to match the 12x zoom on the FZ7 (if you want top quality pictures you would probably be looking at more than one lens). Are you ready for that?

2. A dSLR does have better picture quality, but many people find the picture quality of the FZ7 or other high end p&s cameras perfectly acceptable. That's an individual thing and the person thinking about it should decide for themselves after looking at various reviews, test shots and pictures posted here by various users.

3. Just my opinion, but after having the K100 with the SR and the DS without it, the K100's SR makes a big difference to me (I'm not as steady as I used to be). The right answer might be to get the cheaper FZ7 now and then save up for the K100. By that time you'll know if you want to spend all the extra money on a dSLRand will be better able to decide whether the extra picture quality is worth all of the disadvantages to having the dSLR. I actually did something like this - I bought an FZ30 a year ago and sold it (for a loss) a month later because I was so disappointed in it. It ended up costing me more money than if I had just bought the Pentax DS in the first place (but I was anti-dSLR at the time).
You probably don't remember mtngal, but I used to post in the Panasonic section a lot. I bought the fz-30 after being back and forth for a while deciding to buy a dslr or not. It didnt take me long to get over the fz30. I liked it in some ways (zoom) but in other ways, (Noise-SlowFocus-ShutterLag-SlowPicprocessing) I hated it. So, I sold it, at a 300$ loss and bought my Canon Rebel XT that I have now.

To me, whether or not you get a dslr depends on how serious about photography you want to get. I like it a lot, its a hobby in which I'm not very good at, but I do like it none the less. If you want to get the most out of everything, theres a lot of benefits of a dslr.

Most of the flash units available for high end p&s camera's arent that great. They'll bounce, but they aren't as nice and powerful as the dslr flashes.
Stump1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:50 PM   #12

ndnboy321 wrote:
Quote:
Should I get the Fz7 or the K110D. I really like photography and i always use the manual features; both cameras have them.
Both are 6 Mp
the K110 is 150 dollars more expensive
the Fz7 has 12x zoom and IS
the K110 has a better sensor
the K110 IS A DSLR

I cant decide. If anyone could even sway towards either, it would be tremendously helpful . Thanks

One warning about an SLR. You'll be shooting with the viewfinder and not the lcd. :G
Stump1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:45 PM   #13

Thanks

After thinking it over, I think I am going to go with the DSLR because, I think it would be a good choice for a long term investment. As almost everyone said, it depends on who the photographer is and I think that I fit into this category. The fz7 is something I might use for a year before I decide to move up to a SLR; thats lots money wasted. If I had the DSLR, I would use it until it broke. So i think I will buy the DSLR. Thanks.

This site it simply amazing. My question was quickly adressed. Thanks everyone
ndnboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:45 PM   #14

Thanks

After thinking it over, I think I am going to go with the DSLR because, I think it would be a good choice for a long term investment. As almost everyone said, it depends on who the photographer is and I think that I fit into this category. The fz7 is something I might use for a year before I decide to move up to a SLR; thats lots money wasted. If I had the DSLR, I would use it until it broke. So i think I will buy the DSLR. Thanks.

This site it simply amazing. My question was quickly adressed. Thanks everyone
ndnboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote