Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:50 PM   #1

Hi long time viewer first time poster.

Looking for a full manual control camera 6 or 7 MP. I don't want a SDLR oranything high looking to keep cost 300-400 if possible. any suggestions?

Thanks
JRidge2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:23 AM   #2

There's a ton of options in your price range. Are you looking for an ultracompact, compact or superzoom?

You've given yourself a generous price range to work with. For $400, you could get a 10mp Canon Powershot A640, 1 gb SD card, and a set of rechargeable batteries w/charger.

What kind of photography do you intend to engage in?

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:14 PM   #3

Not quite sure I'm takeing a begining photography class in the spring. I need to upgrade my camera for the class to at least a 5.1 MP with full manual controls. I'm using a kodak DX7440 4 MP. I would like to stay with the ultra zooms if possible I'm also looking for something with IS.A Lithium-ion battery would be nice but not needed. I also need to find a decent photo printer too.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:51 PM   #4

My personal opinion is that if your thinking about "control" and manual settings, you'll get much better control from a DSLR.

There are some fairly inexpensive introductory DSLR's that won't break the bank.

And you can always add additional lenses later

- terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:57 PM   #5

Sounds to methat a Sony H2 or H5 would fit the bill quite nicely. 6-7mp, IS, quality lens, full manual controls. I know of many happy owners.

If you are looking for a 4x6 photo printer, several stores have the HP Photosmart A516 on sale for 50% off = $50. It has gotten very good reviews - in fact, I picked up one for my sister-in-law.

Chris
Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:20 PM   #6

hmmm I can't tell by looking at the spec what can be manualy controled and what isn't. This is a quote from the classes website. you will need a camera that has full manual control of the aperture, shutter speed and focus simultaneously. The aperture and shutter speed should have a range of five stops each. You will need at least a 5 MP Camera. heh no problem on that last one. Does the Sony H2 and H5 have manual controls on those setting with 5 stops each, along with things I mentioned in the earlier post and how does it compare to they Canon S3 IS? On the printer I need one that prints 8.5 x 11 I keep hearing things about the Canon MP600 is it any good?

Thanks,

Josh
Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:07 PM   #7

Read some reviews. Steve's page on "Record modes and menu options" will show what you see in full manual. His specs show a 10 step f2.8 to f8 range in both aperture priority and manual for the H2 & H5.

Any camera with a manual mode except Canons fit your requirement to be able to adjust the aperture and shutter separately at the same time. Some smaller cameras don't have the full 5 step range you require. If it has a focus ring, focus is available while aperture and shutter settings are available.

Ever since the first Elf Canon has been advertising "manual mode" on their small cameras that don't have it. If anyone knows what a manual mode is it should be Canon, so I have to attribute it totally to sleaze. They know better. I don't think any of their cameras with the phantom manual mode has manual focus, so you aren't likely to have a problem with their, to be nice, misdirection. The S3 has a real manual exposure mode but the specs don't say how many steps there are.

If you need a scanner I guess a multifunction isn't bad. The MP600 seems to have the same printer as the iP4300, which is a decent printer. The iP4300 is on sale at Staples for $70 after rebate through Saturday. If you don't need a scanner the 4300 will give you the same prints.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:20 PM   #8

Hmm, I'm hardly an expert, but on my Canon A620 I have a manual focus, in addition to the typical aperture, shutter and iso. Slipe, is your comment "I don't think any of their cameras with the phantom manual mode has manual focus, so you aren't likely to have a problem with their, to be nice, misdirection." aimed at only the Elphs, or Canon's other cameras, as well? I'm pretty confident you know more about this stuff than I do.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:30 AM   #9

Can't tell do the H2 and H5 have manual control on focus?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:37 PM   #10

I bought a Canon S80 a year ago with the idea that I was really going to use it like I did my old Nikon film cameras. I didn't, it stayed on auto most of the times and I maybe underexposed using one of the settings. The changing of apertures and shutter speeds on these point and shoots is just not like what I was used to. I would move up to a DSLR if that is really what you want to do. Decide on Canon or Nikon and go for it. I agree with advice I have read here that the lens is more important than the body. The body will definitely have a shorter life span than the lens. So buy a body as cheap as you can that does what you want. In a couple of years sell it and buy the new technology.

And last, just take lots of pictures and amazingly that camera will get better and better!
prairiewinters is offline   Reply With Quote