Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:57 PM   #11

Damn I can't get it right...lol
www.dpreview.com
ws
whitesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:31 PM   #12

Hello JWalsh

I guess if I boil it down to priority of use with the new camera, it would be simply upgrading from my old Sony FD-95, which I believe was one of their best at the time. My need for zoom is actually priority, since I will be taking pictures ofsmall print, jewelry, small items. etc...for Internet sales...mainly. I am starting to see some reslolution weakness with the 2.1 meg Sony I have, and it has served me well overall. I actually hardly ever go into the manualsettings I guess I am still a novice...

So in a nutshell, I need a simple to use, high zoomcamera....

Does this help in weeding out my choices??
dodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:02 PM   #13

Well dodges-

I just made the plunge today (12/15) and purchased the Panasonic FZ-7. Here is my first shot taken with flash in a hotel room. I was quite pleased with it.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:53 PM   #14

Dodges-

You asked for simplicity of operation. On the Mode Selector of the FZ-7 is a heart shaped symbol. The heart symbol indicates simple operation. All you have to do is to point the FZ-7, press the shutter release half way down, as the camera focuses it chimes to indicate it has achieved proper focus, and also pops up a large green circle on the LCD or EVF screen. In the case of this photo, the FZ-7 set an ap;erture of F 3.2, used ISO 200, and set the shutter speed to 1/10th of a second.

That slow a shutter speed woul result in a blur in a camera that is not IS (image stabilized). However, in this case, the FZ-7 automatically held the FZ-7 perfectly steady, and we ended up with a great photo taken WITHOUT FLASH, under normal kitchen lighting at our son's home. I have to take back what I have said about the FZ-7 being noisey at ISO settings above ISO 200. In this case, the Auto ISO kept the ISO at ISO 200 and below, so we got a great photo.

The photo that I am posting is straight from the camera and no post processing has been applied. All I did was to resize the photo so it met the posting requirements of this Forum.

Now please take a look at the Panasonic FZ-7. It is has an excellent 12X Optical Zoom. If the camera is too large for your tastes, take a look at the Panasonic FX-01, which has just about the same features with LESS zoom. Ihope this helps.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:24 AM   #15

Here's an example for a closeup pic with the FZ7. You can browse the full pic at http://picasaweb.google.com/elgarak/...93932666052674

The flashlight is about 6.5" long. No PP except resizing. Came out of the camera like this with the standard AE automatic (mode selector on P). Be warned that the flash at standard settings and close distance tends to overexpose a little bit. I frequently have to either set the exposure compensation or the flash strength down for close-ups.

IMO, you cannot avoid playing with some of the settings for close-ups with the FZ7. To me, this is a relative minor thing, but YMMV.

I am obviously biased in favor of the FZ7, and I have no idea how the H5 and S3 perform for this. In addition to reading reviews, which may not go into detail that much, I would recommend to browse the Canon and Sony forums for example pics and reports.
elgarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:06 AM   #16

Dodges-

Here is another photo, a macro, or close-up taken during our visit to our son's home for dinner last night. Again I used the simple mode and this photo is just as it came from the camera without further post processing.

The Panasonic Fz-7 is a very easy camera to use and produces great results right out of the camera. I would recommend it highly.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:52 AM   #17

Thanks for the pictures.....

Can I ask 1 more favor...and If you could take a picture of lets say a coin, or the face of a watch....etc...and post it, for that is where the camera needs to function well at..

Thanks so much for your help..

dodges

Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:45 PM   #18

Here you go:

http://picasaweb.google.com/elgarak/...09311585395986

Keep in mind that this is not my area of expertise, so it could have been better with more playing around (mostly, I needed another lamp on the left). No flash, I used a simple standard stand-up lamp to light it (from the right). Camera was on a tripod, light was not bright enough (just). With a little more light, I could have done it hand held -- it was really borderline for hand held, but I don't have another lamp available, or a nice outdoor spot to use sunlight.

Used macro mode with standard settings, just set metering mode to "Spot" (otherwise the camera tried to expose the black background and overexposed the coin). No PP, except cropping. No resizing, this is 100%.
elgarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:34 PM   #19

Well it certainly seems that this camera should work for my main needs......

Thanks for all your help etc...

dodges
Old Dec 16, 2006, 6:36 PM   #20

i just bought the fz7. i was looking basically for two things, a good zoom and fast continuous shooting. this camera seems to fit. there was a test comparing the fz7, h5 and s3. they are all pretty much the same. do a search and read it. j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote