Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:23 PM   #1

Hello.

I am new here, but have searched around a bit, and have enjoyed this site, and it has confused me as well......I have an older Sony FD-95 floppy driven digital camera..2.1 megapixex. I really only use it for internet pictures, and the Sony has served me well. The zoom is very good and I can get good detail, but I just felt it was time to upgrade, and take advantage of the newer cameras with higher meg's. This is why the 3 cameras I mentioned seem to fit the bill for Meg's and zoom. I rarely use themanual settings...SO, if a few of you experienced members, could maybe help me decide. Again, I need a higher pixel, with excellant zoom to capture fine print, jewelry, etc.. I know the Panasonic is the least expensive. Are the Sony or Canon worth the extra $$$

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Scott
dodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:38 PM   #2

I had to made the same decision a few months ago, and went with the Panasonic FZ7.

I never really considered the Sony H5, since I'm somewhat prejudiced against Sony as of late, though I have hard time justifying it. Looking closely, I don't think the H5 performs that much better than the FZ7, has about the same functionality, but uses proprietary (expensive) MemorySticks, and I don't like the layout of the camera (like the focus assist lamp on the right side, where I would always cover it up with my fingers).

The Canon S3 has some more features than the FZ7, but they're mostly nice-to-have-but-never-essential-and-seldom-used. The only thing I would like from the S3's features is the fold-out LCD, but I seldom take pictures to make it worthwhile (and it's another easy to break thing). The S3 has a much nicer video mode than the FZ7, like stereo sound and (like the H5) the ability to zoom while recording. But then, I wanted a digital still camera, not a camcorder, so it's ultimately useless for me.

I played with the FZ7 in the store, and found the layout of the camera just perfect for me. Most other manufacturers clutter too much, IMO. Not really essential, but I found it distracting.

The FZ7 needs sometimes a little tweaking to get good pictures (in low light close-up), but for the most part the auto setting should work for you.
elgarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:38 PM   #3

double post -- ignore
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:06 PM   #4

As I have been told time and time again, it depends on what you are going to do with the camera. If you want a point and shoot camera, then take your time and read as many reviews as you can. Then see if you can find a site where you can compare the cameras side by side. I think, www.dpreviews.com allows you to do that. Trust me, take you time and do your homework. Remember, you will have to live with your choice long time!
whitesun
whitesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:11 PM   #5

Whitesun, the problem with that is that the three cameras in question are nearly identical in specifications.

When I bought my FZ7, I was heavily leaning into it due to its price. I mostly checked if the alternatives are significantly better in one way or the other, and I found that not to be the case.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:27 PM   #6

Well, we all have a budget but that should be the last consideration when desiding on a camera. If all specs are the same then, see who has the best warrenty, what materal the body is made of (to see if it will hold up to heavy usage), and which one gets the best reviews.
Good luck,
Whitesun
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:45 PM   #7

Thanks elgarakfor your input...My usuage will be 90+%point and shoot with the capability of close up's as stated, and though all 3 come with video, it reallydoesnt concern me much. My son bought a Canon 710 IS with a 6meg, 6x, but I foundI need more zoom, which is why I started researching these 3 higher zoom cameras...

Thanks...

Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:49 PM   #8

Thanks for the input..I wasnt too concerned with budget, but also knowing that $400 should cover most respectable digitals or at least the 3 camerasI was looking at, with the Panasonic usually under $300. I tried typing in the site you suggested http://www.dpreviews.combut it seems to be some sort of a designer/decorator company??

Scott
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:53 PM   #9

www.dprevview.com
sorry,
whitesun
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:54 PM   #10

DPReview.com, no 's' after 'review'.

Also, since your subtitle mentions the three mega-zoom cameras, Panasonic FZ7, Sony H5, Canon S3 IS, you may want to check out these pages:

Canon S3 IS vs Sony DSC-H5
Canon S3 IS vs Panasonic DMC-FZ7
Panasonic DMC-FZ7 vs Sony DSC-H5

You'll find links to reviews and previous discussions from around the web, a good starting point for your research. If you still need advice, tell us what you'll be using the cameras for, and we can give you more helpful opinions.
JWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote