Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:32 AM   #1

I have thrown this question up so many times, and so far the F30 seems to be the successor. The only issue I have is that I haven't been able to actually hold and use a F30, which I have been able to do with the 600/630 and was very impressed.

Shooting conditions will be one of the following: Nighttime shots of vehicles (on tripod, on rooftops mostly), clubs, parties, bars, daytime automotive shots.

Now for everything low light, the F30 seems to excel greatly. I can't get over the fact that I would have to adjust my lighting down when I want to take a daytime shot. The Canon seems to do daytime better, and has the color advantages in these situations. The SD line also seems to come with, and please pardon for not remembering the term this second, but it has color highlights in camera which I think I would use. The Canon also looking a lot nicer IMHO than the F30's design.

The other issue I might have is the LCD on the Fuji. I have used the F20, and although an inferior LCD I was not impresed at all. At any zoom the LCD becomes very "stuttery". Is this the same for the F30, or with the better LCD it doesn't have these issues?

1. Will the Canon be able to produce good photos at night, like the F30?
2. After learning the F30, would it be equivalent in daytime photos, or is the Canon going to be better?
3. Does the Fuji offer any color adjustments like the Canon offers?
4. @ Max ISO of 800 w/ the Canon, are pictures taken still somewhat clear, or does noise come in to play for the Canon's higher end ISO line?
pelotudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:19 PM   #2

... Guess I wont be buying it today after all...
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:36 PM   #3

Buying a camera before you do your homework is down right foolish. Buying a camera is like buying a car, you better make sure it "does it for you" or your stuck with it. Check out www.dpreview.com. There you can compare cameras side by side. They also do great reviews.
Good luck,
whitesun
whitesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:17 PM   #4

pelotudo wrote:

Quote:
The other issue I might have is the LCD on the Fuji. I have used the F20, and although an inferior LCD I was not impresed at all. At any zoom the LCD becomes very "stuttery". Is this the same for the F30, or with the better LCD it doesn't have these issues?
I think it's just the F20's LCD. The F30's LCD has much higher resolution and is extremely smooth even when panning quickly.

Quote:
1. Will the Canon be able to produce good photos at night, like the F30?
First of all, let me suggest that, if you're going to be taking many photos in low light and you're getting a Canon SD series camera, consider the SD700 IS or the SD800 IS. They have image stabilization, which will allow you to take handheld shots at the slower shutter speeds that will be required, while minimizingor eliminating blurriness due to hand shake.

To answer the question...it dependson what you're shooting and how you're shooting it. If shooting something that requires a shutter speed of longer than 1 second, such as this scene taken with my F30 (a 3s exposure):

...you're going to need a tripod anyway. This is the case even if you're considering the SD700 IS or the SD800 IS, since IS will only take you so far. Since the cameras in Canon's SD line do have a Night mode that is capable of longer exposures, they will be capable of photos like this.

If you are shooting under somewhat brighter conditions that require a slowish shutter speed (not exceeding 1 second, but slower than, say 1/60s), and the subject is completely stationary, then the SD 700/800 cameras will be great.

If the subject is moving, even slightly, IS won't help you much when the shutter speed is slow enough. You'll get a sharp background and a blurry subject. That's where the high ISO capability of the F30 will come in handy because it allows you to use faster shutter speeds while still getting proper exposure and good image quality. You can use ISO 800 on a Canon but the image would be significantly grainier. However, if you run the image through noise-reduction software, it will turn out quite nicely.

Quote:
2. After learning the F30, would it be equivalent in daytime photos, or is the Canon going to be better?
The F30 usually requires some negative exposure compensation in bright sunlight. Usually -1/3 EV to -2/3 EV does the trick. Here's a photo taken at -2/3 EV:

You don't have to reset the camera this way for every shot. The F30 will retain this setting until you decide to change it. Iset my F30 at -1/3 EV when shooting in bright sunlight and I simply leave it that way.

So, the F30 is capable of excellent outdoor shots if you know how to use it properly. Is it equivalent to the Canon in bright sunlight? I think that the Canon might still have the edge because of its more saturated colours which are generally more pleasing to the eye. I'd say that the Fuji's colours have less oomph but are very realistic.

Quote:
3. Does the Fuji offer any color adjustments like the Canon offers?
If you're referring to the colour accent and colour swap features, the answer isno. The F30 is very straightforward with very few gimmicks.

Quote:
4. @ Max ISO of 800 w/ the Canon, are pictures taken still somewhat clear, or does noise come in to play for the Canon's higher end ISO line?
Canon's latest crop of compact cameras handle high ISO noise better than most (with the exception of the Fujis). Yes, you'll see plenty of grain, but the grain is fine and the pattern istight, and the image retains relatively good detail. I prefer this look to the "splotchiness" of, say, many of the Panasonics' high ISO images. Apparently the Canon high ISO images clean up quite well when run through noise reduction software, so you might want to acquire such a program.

It looks like you're leaning towards a Canon and I don't think you'll be disappointed with one. As with any camera, know its limitations and find the best ways to work around them.

Stephanie

----------

My Fujifilm FinePix FinePix F30 and F10 galleries
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 3:16 PM   #5

Stephanie,

Thank you very much for the very informative post.

I've used Canons SD line before and have always been very happy with it. After hearing about Fuji's low lighting capabilities though, I started considering the F30. When I saw the pseudo "IS" it offered I got even more excited, until I realized that it was nothing more than higher ISO's.

I was looking at the SD630 as well as the F30, but now that I realize the 700IS can be had for a mere $50 more, I don't think I'm going to waste my time with the 630 and move straight up to the IS line; probably sticking with the 700IS as opposed to the 800IS.

The purchase will be in the next day or so now, and although the pics from your F30 look amazing I think I would be better suited with the SD line.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:39 PM   #6

If you are leaning towards canon look at Canon A710IS as well, it gives you more manual controls for aperture and shutter

ag
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote