Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:13 AM   #1

Hey everyone,

First of all, a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to each of you & your loved ones.

Secondly, I am in the market, again, for a DSLR. As some of you know, I had the Oly E-500, but I very recently gave it to my baby sister after hers (SLR/Film) had been stolen. My wife had given me the go ahead to look into another DSLR (Christmas present), and I can select anything within the cost frame of a Canon 5D, on down. I have a $3000 ceiling to work under, and the price of that camera body wouldn't leave much for mein the concernof lenses, battery grip & batteries, a good case, etc. The four cameras that I took initial interest in were the:

1. Canon 5D 2. Canon 30D 3. Nikon D200 4. Pentax K10D

Of the four listed, it was the last one (Pentax K10D) which seemed to win me over. I loved the ergonomics of it, and - unlike some - found the weight of it to be a welcoming thing. The weather sealing, built-in IS, and the anti-dust feature also weighed heavily into my favor of it. I had read the DPreview on this DSLR, and was a little disappointed in what was given for its picture sharpness (or, should I say, lack of it). But I also read numerous user reviews where the owners (and many of them) were testifying about the picture quality (sharpness included) of this same camera. The one thing that I haven't heard much on is the shutter response, and I would like to know if someone could remark on that for me - and also give their feelings on what I have written here. I am not into sports, or anything like that, and my shootings will mostly be for general family photographs, some portraits and landscape shots. There will also be some low-light shootings involved, from time to time.

I am of the mind that this DSLR would be a nice purchase descision for me (at least I hope so), and the balance of the $3000 limit would allow me to get most of everything else (if not all) that I would desire for it. A little later on, I might find myself in the position to pick up the latest version of Photoshop for my PP.

Share your thoughts on this camera, please.
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:42 AM   #2

I love mine. The in-camera SR works well for me (better than I had expected). The auto WB does quite well (better than the DS). I shoot raw (and can use DNG in-camera, don't have to convert!) mostly so I'm not concerned with the jpg quality. My own personal experience is that the jpg quality is fine. The exposure options are really useful, and I love being able to change focus points etc. on the fly, rather than having to go into the menus. I don't worry about taking the camera out in the snow (I'll most likely buy a sealed lens when they come out).

My biggest concern before handling onewas the weight and sizeof the camera - I'm not big person. I was VERY surprised how natural it felt for me, and the extra weight isn't that much more than the K100. Count me into the ranks of happy K10 owners.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Honestly, if that is your shortlist, then I would expect you to be shooting RAW most of the time anyway. So if the K10D JPGs are not terribly sharp, well who cares?

All are excellent cameras. If you like the K10 then go for it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:18 PM   #4

Mtngal,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I love the feel of that K10D. It, in fact, felt better in my hands than any other camera that I held. One thing you could answer for me, though: what is the 'shutter response' of this camera like? I am hoping it to be instantaneous, or very near so. At least as responsive as that of my previous E-500. If there is to be no real problem with shutter lag, then I know that I will be purchasing this camera. Please let me know about this. - and thanks again.

Blessings,

Nathan
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:19 PM   #5

Peripatetic,

Thank you, too.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:59 PM   #6

I don't notice any shutter lag at all, I think that it would be at least the same as your E-500, but since I've never actually used one I'm only guessing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:29 PM   #7

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:16 PM   #8

I handled the K10D in the store when it came out and I was surprised at how well it fit my hand (almost scary, since I don't need a new camera). I know it weighs more than my K100D, but it seemed lighter. The only thing I can figure is that it was better balanced in my hand.

I know ergonomics are highly personal, so I know that other cameras feel the same way to them. I was just very pleased at how well the camera fit. (Dang, now I want one again....)

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:55 PM   #9

Of those 4 cameras, the only one I've handled is the Canon 5D which I use at work, and for the type of photography you described, I'd recommend you take it off your list. The quality and resolution are very high and it's quite good in low light because of it's full frame sensor, but it is not a fun camera to work with at all. It's bulky, doesn't have a lot of the newer features like anti-dust, anti-shake or even weather sealing, and while it's LCD is big and probably bright enough, it's not very sharp and you have to zoom in to see if your focus is any good.

It's also got an extremely shallow depth of field. I do product photography and most of what I shoot is only about a foot deep, yet at 100mm at f/22, I still only get 3/4 in focus.

Finally, if you're not going to invest in some really expensive lenses you probably wouldn't get much more out of that 12.9 MP than you would out of 10. If you like flash photography, you'll have to buy a flash as well since there's none on-board.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:29 AM   #10

Thanks ~ Russ & Corpsy,

You know, the more that I look into it - the more it is that I settle on that Pentax K10D. I know that ergonomics aren't everything (not by a long shot), but I think that it does play a rather significant role into the comfort factor of its usage. That K10D felt perfect to me; size, heft...everything. I will be able to afford somegood glass for it, and am trying, now, to make a determination as to the best 'all around' lens (if there is one) for the camera. I know that I will wind up with more than one lens, but I really didn't want to have to get into frequent lens swapping. I will be looking into a good Macro lens, as well as a very fast one for low-light shootings.

Any suggestions on these would be most appreciated.

Blessings,

Nathan