Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2006, 3:55 AM   #21

One more question,

Since I won't have much money to spend on glass after the body purchase, I was wondering what your opinions of the D80's included AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IF ED lens?

hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:01 AM   #22
Super Moderator

Simply not long enough for the distances you are talking about using it over. A combination that will get you to approx 300mm is where you should be looking. If you don't want perfect from a lens (as in you don't want the work used by papers, printed for sale etc) then you could look at the cheap options of the Sigma and Tamron 70-300mm lenses. They are not fast (wide aperture), they don't have the quickest AF but I one as a backup lens/light weight carry around lens in conjunction with my 17-70mm and they are fine for general use. Having said that I really only use mine a couple of times a year now as I have a Tamrac backpack so all lenses go everywhere with me.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:15 AM   #23

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark.

So should I be looking for just a run-of-the-mill kit lens, and then spend the money on a decent 70-300?

Even though the above lens is not stellar for what I need (not long enough), will it be enough to "get me by" until I can afford a good 70-300?
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:21 AM   #24
Super Moderator

If you are looking at going down that route I would possibly suggest getting the 18-55mm kit lens and then a Sigma or Tamron 70-300mm lens as this combo will give you a good starting point to cover all require ranges to do the sport as well as portrait and landscape. Then when you can afford to get the better glass you can replace these. This is the route I went down as money was an issue. However you could look at the secondhand market to save some cash. The first 70-200mm f2.8 bought was from eBay and was a really good deal. I am just selling it now and look like I will easily make money on it as well as having hada years use and sales of work from it!!!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:19 PM   #25

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
On a 1.5 or 1.6 crop camera (Nikons are 1.5 and Canons are 1.6):

200mm lens is accurate & sharp for about 25-30 yards.

300mm lens is accurate and sharp for about 40 yards

400mm lens is accurate and sharp for about 50-60 yards.

This is assuming that you want to crop your photos and fill the frame with the subject which is the technique employed by most sports shooters.

JohnG, this is great information. Thanks for sharing this. I wish you could make information like this a sticky.

Russ

edit - I didn't mean to imply that the other information wasn't useful. It was. I just always appreciate "rules of thumb" that I can carry around.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:30 PM   #26

THESE ARE GREAT SHOTS......I JUST BOUGHT THE D-40 and absolutely love it....It's the most FUN...easiest to use DSLR I've ever used............ I saved money and will buy a great lens for ACTION shots.......The review at www.kenRockwell.com will show you you that this is the most FUN advanced camera under $1,000......Manual focus on Prime lenses is Fun and doesn't detract from a GREAT VALUE....BUY A D-40..........You'll love it!!!
themayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 4:37 AM   #27

I know the last time I posted to this thread was a while ago, but I just wanted to update it.

I would like to thank everyone who previously responded in this thread to help me out. It was a foundation from which I launched much of my further research.

My long-time girlfriend/fiancee and I were married a couple of weeks ago, and our gift to each other was this camera purchase.

This fall, we plan on taking some photography courses together. She's into playing with shadows/shapes/architechture, and I'm into just about anything, but mostly sports, people, and landscapes.

This is what we ended up buying:

• Canon 30D[/*]
  • Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM[/*]
  • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM[/*]
  • Hoya Pro-1 Digital UV filters (one for each lens)[/*]
  • Hoya HMC Circular Polarizer[/*]
  • LowePro CompuTrekker AW backpack[/*]

I sold my Canon S1 IS to my sister, since the 30D replaced it, and we bought a Canon SD800 IS as our PnS camera.

I will be buying a Manfrotto 681B monopod in the next couple of weeks.

A Canon 50mm f/1.8 II is on my Xmas list, as is a Canon 430EX flash. I have yet to decide on what tripod I want.

Initially, we bought the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro
as our walk-around lens, but the images were just too soft for my liking. My wife also had trouble holding the camera still, and could not seem to get too many shots w/o them being a wee bit blurry due to camera shake. So, I took it back, exchanged it for a different copy, and I was much more pleased with the sharpness, but all in all my wife's unsteady hands led us back to the photo store's counter once more, and we upgraded to the 17-55 f/2.8 IS, which is a stunning lens.

Two days later we exchanged the 70-200 non-IS version
as well, which we had originally bought, for the IS version; again b/c my wife has an impossible time pulling off good HH shots, and was starting to lose interest in the camera. Even though I thought the non-IS was a simdge sharper at the long end, who am I to complain?:-) Overall, I think the IS version will have greater useage for us.

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank everyone greatly for their input. I have been taking pictures like a mad man lately, and I actually have two offers for some (minor) paid work just from people seeing my pictures of our honeymoon, and some (300+ shots) I took at a friend's b-day party. Go figure! :O