Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:00 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

As I'm a keen bordering on obsessive photographer a friend has asked for advice on a camera for his daughter, however I know nothing about the market for anything non dSLR.

He is looking for a camera for his 19 year old daughter for about $190 US £100 UK (depending where you are from) with Li battery if possible, reasonable zoom and 4+mp. What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:17 AM   #2

Hi Mark, any particular reason the battery needs to be Li? Otherwise, I'd recommend Canon Powershot A540 (6mp, 4x zoom), Kodak Easyshare C875 (8mp, 5x zoom) and Fuji Finepix F20 (6mp, 3x zoom) and a set of rechargeable AA's.

Do you know anything regarding the daughter's photography habits/desires?

Chris
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:20 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Nope it is a first digital camera for someone who has not used one before. He wants Li so that she just needs to sort one battery that will last a long time rather than mess around with rechargeable AAs, however I managed to cope for a few years doing that and it never caused me a problem. I did suggest the Canon already and will try to encourage him to go this way.

Are there any at all that have Li in this price range?

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:31 AM   #4
mrb

I haven't searched for Li, but I think Fuji and Panasonic sometimes use Li, and my one daughter has an older Olympus Stylus that takes Li. Kodak and Canon seem to stick with AA from what I have seen.

I am currently looking for a camera for my other daughter (12 yr old). I am looking at the Canon A540 which seems to be well built, good ratings, good features, takes SD card and AA batteries, is not too small or too big to handle, and has a decent size 2.5" LCD. It looks like you can get one now for about US $170. There are a few out there $100-$150, but the quality does not seem tobe as good. Of course you can go with a better camera (higher MP,higher zoom, image stabilization, etc.) butat higher cost beyond your budget. The Kodak in Chris' post also looks good, I am going to do a little research on that one.

I'll watch your post for any other comments!
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:47 PM   #5

Choices are many in this area. If the daughter is a non-techie, then I'd recommend Kodak as they seem to be easy to use (my wife and sisters all use and love them). However, I don't like the C-series. They're mainly plastic and the one I gave my sister failed straight off. Kodak fixed it, but I was still not impressed by the cheap feel. My wife has a V530 and I like it much more than my Canon S400 Digital Elph it replaced. The body is aluminum and you can get in colors. My wife got the brushed aluminum, but only because the pink/red was out of stock. I personally liked the matte black one.

The Kodak menu system seems to be easy for newbies to figure out, yet still retains some "power". Also, the dock used to connect/download the pictures is very intuitive for non-techies. My wife even has the printer dock and can now print her own pictures! She would never attempt that in a million years using the typical methods via computer.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:45 PM   #6
mrb

Looks like the Kodak V603 is the newer 6 MP version of the V530 mentioned by Russ, available for about $215. The Kodak C875 seems to be a very good deal from Staples for $150 after rebate. I think my decision is between the Canon A540 at $170 and the Kodak C875 at $150. The Canon seems to get more consistently higher ratings.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:10 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Thanks all I will pass the info on to my friend and see what he would like to do.

Have a great Christmas!!!!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:56 AM   #8

I don't have much experience but I have a Kodak EasyShare Z740 (about 2 y rs old)and the ease of the Kodak EasyShare sold me. I tried every camera that Circuit City and Best Buy carried, as those were the best prices in my area. EasyShare is the camera for dummies. I'm pleased the quality of my photo's, even indoor in dim light--although the red-eye feature doesn't work as well as I hoped. I have even taken close-up shots of flowers and if I knew how to post a photo here, I would. In my search I read reviews that indicate all Kodak's are not created equal, however.I only have two complaints about the camera...the lens cap pops off all the timeso a camera bag isa necessity ( I knew this before I bought it) and it's hard to keep it steadyforcityscapes at nightwithout a tripod because of the weight of the lense when it extends.
Flame50 is offline   Reply With Quote