Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:52 AM   #1
mrb

I have been looking at digicams for my 12 yr old daughter. I would like a nice camera for under $200. I have posted on a few other threads here recently, but figured I'd post my own for any comments on these two before I purchase.

It looks like I can get the Kodak C875 for $150 at Staples, and the Canon for about $175. I know the Canon consistently gets good ratings, and I have also heard some good things about the Kodak. I don't think she would care about the absence of a viewfinder on the Kodak, and she probably won't do much with manual controls, at least not for a while.

I think it is between these two, but any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:23 AM   #2
mrb

I also see the Panasonic FZ5 with OIS for $179.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 9:59 PM   #3

The C875 is probably the easiest to use of the group - lots of scene modes, and it tries to automatically recognize what you are taking a photo off and automatically pick the right scene mode. Also, the colors are very vibrant. Battery life is terrible. You can get the Kodak dock - which includes a rechargeable battery and also doubles as a battery charger -from Buy.com for about $36, and this includes ordering a 2nd rechargeable battery. The dock also helps download pics to your PC.

Both the Canon A540 and the Panny FZ5 are good choices, too. Tough decision.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:07 PM   #4

Staples also has the Canon A620 bundled with a photo printer that you don't need a computer for (prints straight off SD card) for 249.00 A little above your price range but it was top rated before the A640 came out. I bought this bundle for my 10 yr old for this xmas and returned the A540 I had bought for her. Advantages in my opinion were the lcd that folds in so it doesn't get scratched (these are kids after all!) and the printer she can use herself without having to go through pc software. I can buy her cheap photo paper (dollar tree has 20 4x6 sheets for a buck) and let her have at. Also, consider that the card slot in the A540 is in the same place as the batteries. What are the chances that she will be dumping batteries all over! I thought that was a lousy design.

Good luck with your decision.

Peggy

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:13 PM   #5
mrb

Thanks for your comments. The A620does look like a pretty good deal, but I don't think I need the printer. The LCD is a bit smaller on the A620 (2" versus 2.5"), but then again I only have a 1.8" on my Canon S2 IS (I wish it were bigger).

I see high ratings for Canon cameras,and Staples is offering a free Canon printer with any Canon camera. However, some of the Kodaks have been rated pretty well also, particularly in their ease of use.

Well I ordered the Kodak C875 this afternoon from Staples (before I read your reply). After the rebate and coupons, I'm only paying about $125. Seems like a good deal, so hopefully it works out. I guess I can always return it.

Thanks

Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:26 PM   #6

I think your daughter will really enjoy the C875 - I know I do, especially after price-matching with Staples and getting the camera for $126 + free 512mb SD card (which was last week's promotion).

Jeff at DCResource.com just reviewed the C875 today - and he was surprised at how much he liked it!

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:57 PM   #7
mrb

We received the Kodak C875 from Staples ... free next day shipping, even right before Christmas! It seems pretty easy to use, so hopefully she will like it.