Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1

Jump ball!
Having ruled out the Nikon as too heavy, I'm torn between the Sony A100 and the Rebel xti. Assuming no prior investment in lenses and feel is a push ( Sony larger/ /heavier), I'm interested in recommendations or how others made the choice.
Added note - haven't touched an slr, digital or film, for years.
Thanks.
JJ
twojayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:33 AM   #2

This will help you:
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/A100vsD80vsXTi.shtml

How much heavier is the Nikon (D80)? They are supposedly the best according to this article.

IMO all SLRs are heavy and big, but of the two you talk about, the xti is better for night photography, but the a100 is far sharper and arguably has better images overall.

As an aside, xti is more popular. On photosig, most members used the rebel as the SLR. Not sure if it is due to marketing, but that too is something to consider.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:48 AM   #3

The A100 will have noiser images from ISO 800+

Great cam otherwise.
TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:29 PM   #4

My biggest caution on the Sony is you're betting on the Sony MACHINE and that it will be able to meet it's goal of capturing 20% DSLR market share. They're new to the DSLR world - having taken over Konica Minolta's camera business. Everyone praised the alpha when it came out, but since then, Pentax, Nikon and Canon have all released new DSLRs and I haven't seen anyone suggest the Sony isn't at the bottom of the list. But the other manufacturers are on 3rd or 4th generation DSLRs vs Sony's first generation. IF Sony can accomplish their goal I think you'll see great 3rd generation DSLRs from them. If anti-shake in body is a must for you then go with Pentax. Otherwise, the Nikon D80 or Canon XTi should provide you not only a better camera but a more stable player (at least for now) in the DSLR market.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:10 AM   #5

I have the sony and I love it. The in camera stabilizaation is great. You can still get minolta lens at a reasonable amount.

Some questions for you:

How often would you need to shoot in high ISO?
Have you handled both of them?
Which feels the best in your hand?
Which fits your budget the best?

Sony is a first generation but they are building on yrs of minolta inovention. If they can do this good with first generation what's 3 generations from now going to be like? I'm betting excellent. They are betting on it with the Carl Zeisko lens at least that's my opinion.

Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6

twojayess wrote:
Quote:
Jump ball!
Having ruled out the Nikon as too heavy, I'm torn between the Sony A100 and the Rebel xti. Assuming no prior investment in lenses and feel is a push ( Sony larger/ /heavier), I'm interested in recommendations or how others made the choice.
Added note - haven't touched an slr, digital or film, for years.
Thanks.
JJ
Even though the Sony is larger and heavier, it has a better ergonomical feel than almost anything else out there. There is plenty of good quality Minolta glass out there,as well as some aftermarket lenses to hold you over asSonyslowy builds it collection.

The Alpha is really a great camera with some excellent features,like antishake and anti-dust features. It takes some incredibly sharp pictures but of course the downside to higher resolution is imagenoise at ISO 1600 is a little more pronounced on the Alpha. It can be cleaned up with software, which most DSLR shooters end up using to post process their images anyway.

Though it appears to be first generation for Sony, the basic design of the Alpha is technology brought over from 2nd generation Konica Minolta. I have no fear that Sony is here to stay and I think they will be a big influence in the shape of things to come in the futrue of DSLR
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 2:02 PM   #7

It depends what you want to shoot most. If your interests run towards sports and action, or indoor lowlight without flash, particularly something like indoor sports or concert, or theatre photos, I would go for the Canon, likely with a plan of eventually upgrading to a 30D or some succesor.

If your intersts run more towards things like portraiture, family photos, travel and vacation photos, etc., I would chose the A-100. I think the A-100 is a bit better all around camera.

I also wouldn't consider it exactly a "first attempt", as Sony simply aquired and merged with Konica-Minolta, and this is essentially the succesor to the KM5D. The folks who actually designed and built this cmarea have been making very good cameras for a long time, including SLR and dSLR.

You can see the clear advantage for the Xti at higher ISO in test shots in reviews like these:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

I would say that the XTi samples at ISO 1600 there looks as good and maybe even a bit better than the A-100 at ISO 800. With noise reduction sofware, you may even be able to shoot at ISO 3200 if you really need it with the Canon and get a somewhat useable result.

But if you rarely have a need to shoot at higher than ISO 400-800, I think the Sony seems to give better results. Compare the samples in Steve's review. He happened to have both those cameras for review the same day and shot the same test shots minutes apart for them. Click on the photo to download a full sized version, then click on the Canon XTi comparable to compare them. By my eyes, the Sony shots are clearly better in these ordinary outdoor test shots, likely in part due to a better kit lens.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...0_samples.html

In the end, though, the deciding factor may be ergonomics, which is someting yo ought to judge for yourself. Try them out, see what feels best to you. And try to test with the type of lens you expect to be using.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 2:19 PM   #8

Thanks all for the replies.

I just found out my uncle has a batch of nikon lenses - I'm waiting to get the list.

I had ruled out the D80 previously, but I went back and played with D80 and didn't see as much diff in the feel vs. the A100 as I had initially thought. I also like the feel of the Pentax 10 and 100.

Any further thoughts/ advice?

Thanks in advance.

JJ
twojayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:56 PM   #9

Well if you have old lenses you should reconsider Nikon. If you really want a smaller lighter Nikon, you might like the D40, but you may find it doesn't work with some of those older lenses. With the lens limitations of the D40, you lose one of the key advantages of going wiht Nikon (or Canon), the extensive collection of quality lenses available.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote