Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:39 PM   #1

After several reasonably happy years with a Olympus C750 10x SuperZoom, the camera was dropped last week and appears to have met it's demise. In looking for a replacement, my wish is for another 10x or 12x zoom, and I.S. (the only thing lacking in the C750). Plus, all other things being equal, I'd prefer a smaller size camera to a SLR-sized one.

My wife, on the other hand, being of the impatient variety, could never stand the 10+ secondflash recycle times of the C750, so another requirement is a fast flash recycle time.

Based on Steve's reviews, it appears that the Panasonic FZ7 is my best choice, but I'd like to hear from the forum to see if any other mid-range cameras are worth my consideration. Thanks for the help.

Edit - it looks like the Canon S3 and Nikon S4 / S10 don't qualify due to slow flash times, but the Fuji S5200 and Kodak Z612 / P712 could work. Are either of these comparable to the Panny?
jrbdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:48 AM   #2

Well,I'll reply to my own post. I did go with the Panny due to its zoom, IS, and flash performance. I was a bit concerned about whether the CZ7 flash would be strong enough for my purposes, but is is *much* stronger than on my previous Olympus and the recycle times match Steve's review (2 secs. or so for a fresh battery).

It remains to be seen how much the "noise issue" will bother me, but so far (with very limited use) the CZ7 looks like a winner for me.
jrbdmb is offline   Reply With Quote