Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2006, 8:52 AM   #21

i know they are running scarce, but i have managed to find a couple here in beijing
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:00 AM   #22

Have you tried the Nikon 50mm f1.8 yet with your D50?

That combo seems to be one of the best inexpensive options for low light without falsh. I think a better lens than the kit lens will make alot more difference than having ISO 3200.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:25 AM   #23

I don't think you are at all crazy to be thinking of the KM, especially if you can find a new one. When itcomes time to replace it sometimein the future,there will (most likely) bea 2nd or 3rdgeneration Sony to replace it with. Only question mark I might have for the KM is if there were a warranty repair needed for some reason (with anything electronic there's always the possibility of a problem)- would Sony be able to fix it?

On the other hand, I'm a VERY happy Pentax user and don't think you'd be unhappy with the K100. There's a number of fast primes available either new or used, along with some fairly long teles and inexpensive zooms (some of them being third party lenses)that offer very good quality. I don't think you could go that wrong with either one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:56 PM   #24
TDN

If I were to buy a DSLR right now, it would be the Pentax K10D, but that's because I already have Pentax gear for my ist DL.

If I had gotten a D50 instead, my choice would be a D80 now...

I saw something you should consider a few posts above. Why get a new camera body instead of saving up for a nice VR lens?

If you are determined to switch brands, I would sell my D50 set.
The only brand I have experience with is Pentax, and I can assure you it's worth buying into.

Being able to experiment with almost every focal length for 150$ or less per lens is a dream. (2nd hand MF lenses of course)
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 8:15 PM   #25

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried the Nikon 50mm f1.8 yet with your D50?

That combo seems to be one of the best inexpensive options for low light without falsh. I think a better lens than the kit lens will make alot more difference than having ISO 3200.

tried it, and yes it is a great combo ( borrowed a friends )But. for indoor shots the 50mm is not very wide, i know there are 28mm primes out there but.... That leaves me with a different problem of too shallow DOF when shooting casual.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 8:25 PM   #26

TDN wrote:
Quote:
If I were to buy a DSLR right now, it would be the Pentax K10D, but that's because I already have Pentax gear for my ist DL.

If I had gotten a D50 instead, my choice would be a D80 now...

I saw something you should consider a few posts above. Why get a new camera body instead of saving up for a nice VR lens?

If you are determined to switch brands, I would sell my D50 set.
The only brand I have experience with is Pentax, and I can assure you it's worth buying into.

Being able to experiment with almost every focal length for 150$ or less per lens is a dream. (2nd hand MF lenses of course)

why not save up for a good vr lense instead? A good point indeed.-

I don't want to save up for a VR because at the moment i feel their pricetag ( here in china ) is outrages! nearly 1000$ for a 18-200mm. The 24-120mm, having played around with it, was neither wide nor long enough for mygeneral use.

I realize that the gear doesn't take the pictures, its the guy holding the camera.But I have also found outthat some gear is better for a specific type of shooting than other-