Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:42 AM   #1

having a little extra in the xmas jar this year, i have decided to spend a littleextra on a another DSLR body.

Seing as i already have a d50 with a 18-55mm and a 70-300mm G F-mount, nikon / fuji would be the obvious but then again having access to pentax or canon mount would'nt be to bad either.

These are my alternatives, they all have approx 4-8000 actuations.

1. Pentax DS with a 55-200mm approx 420$

2.canon 300d with a 18-55mm approx 350$

3.fuji s2 Pro body only 350$

4. Nikon D70 body only 350$

I am the casual shooter, no sports and no extremes.

These are prices from china and i don't have acccess to all the great rebates you have in the states.-

give yourthoughts...........
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:16 AM   #2

Just curious - why buy another body over a better quality lens, or a flash or something else to use on your primary body? Extra bodies make sense when your doing wedding, sports, or photojournalism type photography we're you can often need to change lenses several times so having multiple bodies allows you to not waste time changing lenses. But, I'm not sure I understand buying another camera to use the same lenses you already have - what do you gain? Except potentially an insurance policy that you have a backup body. Please don't be offended, but for the "casual shooter" it just seems like a waste of money that could be spent on something else that lets you expand your current shooting (e.g. a flash unit or a new lens or a tripod or whatever).

Just curious.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:23 AM   #3

hehe definately not offended johnG.

Lens would be my only choice seing as i already have tripod, flash ect ect. ( and what a choice indeed :-))

hmmmmhow should i put it........ I love to get new gear ( new camera body to play with ). I have to admit there is no sane reason to buy a new body. But what the heeeeeeey.......
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:58 AM   #4

I'm definitely in the not-very-good amateur range of photographer and (when I'm not hiking) love having two camera bodies. I have something like the kit lens on one camera and a long tele on the other so I don't have to keep switching around lenses. I did that all summer with a DS and a K100 (nice combination, the DS is lighter and would have the kit/wide angle lens on it and the K100 with the SR would have the long tele on it). Works great for landscape/scenics/birding.

I can't quite see having two separate lens systems, though - you'd end up carting around twice as much junk. Unless you are thinking of changing systems and want to have both for a while to decide which you like, then sell what you don't want later.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:52 AM   #5

mtngal

that was excactly what i was intending to do. having one body with a wide solution and one with a constant tele.

the s2 is out having read the fuji forum on s2 trouble.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 3:28 PM   #6
TDN

If you have a D50 already, I wouldnt even consider a different brand...

Maybe get a nice afforbale little D40? Or another D50 if your lenses arent AF-S...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:08 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Better idea.

Save up for a few months more and get the D80, then the D50 becomes the backup camera.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 6:32 AM   #8

Since you already have Nikon equipment, I think the D80 is a good/best idea. That's what I did with the DS and K100, and I'm really happy I did that. I still can't see changing lens systems, unless there's something specific you want with one of the other systems (like in-camera IS) that Nikon doesn't offer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:20 PM   #9

KNOWING your camera is an important part of photography, especially when you are fumbling to get the shot right before the opportunity vanishes.

Having two bodies from different manufacturers just means different buttons, a different menu and different responses for any given situation. It's hard enough to master one body - two bodies from different manufacturers just makes the job harder.

If you just want to play, a Pentax K100 will give you something new at a fair price, if you realy really want to play, get a gadgety compact like a Casio Z1000, this will compliment your DSLR. If you seriously want a 'back up' bodyI would go for a D80 and make your D50 back up, if you want better kit / images, I would spend the money on better glass.

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 7:20 AM   #10

an extra point to my search.

When i chose my D50 i went against my heart and didn't buy the KM D5. Ever since i have been regretting not having AS and iso3200.

The AS i can live without. ( if i must )

but i would love to have iso3200, something that is attainable through a firmware hack on the rebel, or as a direct choice in the DS.

( maybe i should just give up and sell my equip and start over again? I don't have any expensive lenses lying around anyway.....)