Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1

I am about to go on a holiday in India and would like to replace my antique Exilim EX-M1.

What would you recommend? I am especially tempted by Sony's T50 and N2 and Casio's EXZ-1000, but would gladly welcome all recommendations.

Many thanks for your advice.

Sprotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:16 PM   #2

How about panasonic FX01. I have it to go along with my dSLRs. It is nice small cam with IS and has 28mm lens which is nice to have.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:56 AM   #3

Yes, that is a very good suggestion. Thanks!
Sprotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 7:40 AM   #4

Alternatively, how about the Panasonic TZ1? Slightly larger, but the 10x lens.

Only problem that I see on both is the proprietary Lithium battery, which means that every once in a while you need a power plug available for charging. But this is problem of nearly all ultra-compacts. Definitely get a second battery, if possible.

If you go a little bit larger, you can get one with AA batteries, which are easy to get nearly everywhere, in a pinch. I have a Panasonic LZ5, which I would also consider very portable. (Sorry, but I'm a Panasonic fanboy... I don't mean to imply that other companies do not have good cameras...)
elgarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5

You can get an aftermarket battery for most cameras for $20. One good thing about lithium batteries is that they don't have much of a self-discharge – like 2%/month after the first day. So you can charge one up and it will be at almost full power whenever you need it.

Unless you will be completely away from power for several days, most proprietary batteries anymore will take enough pictures on a charge that you often don't need a spare. I think photo storage is more of a problem than power on a long trip unless you are taking a laptop with you.

You generally get a smaller and lighter camera with proprietary batteries. After you decide on a camera go to the board for that brand and ask which aftermarket batteries people have been pleased with. Some are as good as the originals and some aren't.

Wide angle is an advantage for travel photos. You might also look at the Canon SD800, which also has wide angle and stabilization with the added advantage of an optical viewfinder. It is pricier than the FX01 though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:58 PM   #6

Sprotch wrote:
Quote:
I am about to go on a holiday in India and would like to replace my antique Exilim EX-M1.

What would you recommend?* I am especially tempted by Sony's T50 and N2 and Casio's EXZ-1000, but would gladly welcome all recommendations.

Many thanks for your advice.

You would be happy with the Canon A710 (if you like manual features), the SD600-630 (for price, no IS), the SD700-900 for IS and great portability, or the Sony T50 if most of your shots are outdoor. T50 is best for portability and I loved the T11 when I was in Italy. It fit in my pocket!

The Panasonic TZ1 has a great zoom but honestly, zoom is over-rated for vacations and you'll like, say a 28mm lens, from SD800 for wide-angle shots.

What is your budget? What is most important to you (size of camera, image quality)?
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote