Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: K110D or K100D
K110D 0 0%
K100D 6 100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:38 PM   #1

I was just wondering if, for the price jump, the SR in the K100D was actually worth it? I was also wondering about the durability of the SR and if it lowered the camera life.
+ would having a strong magnet against the camera destroy it??

Does SR work?
ndnboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:38 PM   #2

It all depends on your photography skills. How steady are you?

I had both the K100 and the older DS. When I first got the K100 I took out both cameras and took pictures under various lighting conditions. With the DS, a 200mm focal length and a shutter speed of 1/125, almost all the pictures showed some camera shake (some more than others). None of the K100 pictures did, and I wasn't even trying to test the SR with these (I used to be able to hold a camera that steady but no longer!), just seeing what the basic jpg differences were.

The SR does have limitations - even with it on I'll get camera shake when trying to use a shutter speed of 1/10 sec.with a 300mm lens. On the other hand, I'll get lots of keepers when using shutter speeds of 1/6 with a 24mm lens.

SR won't stop the action of a subject - I have an example where I took a picture one evening in Las Vegas. The lights on thebuildings in the background show no sign of camera shake (I was using a fairly slow shutter speed), but just as I pressed the shutter, a taxi came wizzing around the corner. The cab is all blurry because my shutter speed was so slow.

Conclusion - SR is VERY important to me and makes a huge difference, but won't be importantto others.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 6:56 PM   #3

Thanks.
I think the SR is worth it an i'm going to purchase the K100. Hopefully it's as useful to me as it was to you!
ndnboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:03 PM   #4

My K100D just came in yesterday and I stayed up all night just playing with the SR. Yes it DOES WORK and WORTH IT. I tested many many shots with the SR on and off.

I am not going to say that you will get a blurr free picture everytime. No system is that perfect.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:04 PM   #5

ndnboy321 wrote:
Quote:
I was just wondering if, for the price jump, the SR in the K100D was actually worth it? I was also wondering about the durability of the SR and if it lowered the camera life.
+ would having a strong magnet against the camera destroy it??

Does SR work?

Though I don't have a Pentax, shake reduction does work. It will get you photographs that are normally not possible without a tripod and or allow you to use slower shutter speedsand or lower ISO settings. It will not help you reduce the blur associatedwith moving objects.

SR doesn't directlyimpact camera life, but in some cases if the SR mechinism fails, there is the possiblity that it could render the camera inoperable until repaired. In most cases if the SR breaks down, you can simply turn it off and then your camera will still operate.

As far as a strong magnet, I don't think it will destroy your camera but a strong magnet or magnetic fiels could affect the operation or cause interference with the imageif it strong enough. It really depends on what you mean by strong.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote