Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:06 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
When you want to upgrade from the kit lens - the lens becomes the biggest expense. You'd probably want the one that can have maximum apperture of 2.8.
The lens I got is Sigma 24-70mm EX 2.8. which costs arround $400
there is a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 that costs $350 and is also considered very good if not better then the Sigma I got. Canon equivalent of these lens costs over $1000.
Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 may be another choice.

[snip]

So even though I am not a Nikon user - my vote goes for Nikon d40.
Those lenses won't Autofocus on a D40, since it's missing the in body focus motor they need when used on a Nikon.

You lose Autofocus with the vast majority of third party lenses with a D40.

The only current exceptions would be some of the Sigma lenses with HSM (and the ones you mentioned don't have HSM). You can't Autofocus with most Sigma lenses, and you can't Autofocus with any lenses from Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar/Cosina and other third party lens makers.

You'd also lose the ability to Autofocus with a number of Nikkor lenses (including some of the brighter primes that may be nice to have in low light conditions). Ditto for some of the popular Nikkor zooms like the older non-D version of Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 (which you can usually find used for under $500 at a vendor like http://www.keh.com if you shop around).

If I were shopping for a new DSLR to use in low light, I'd avoid the D40, especially if I were on a tight budget for lenses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:12 PM   #22

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
2. The D40 is really a very stripped down DSLR - IMO it's more of a gimmick - aimed at digicam shooters that have bought into DSLR hype. Personally, if you're thinking Nikon I would say stick with the D50.
of course d40 is not a gimmic as it has all the features that an average person would ever need. It has most of the settings hidden in menus and thus out of the way of an inexperienced photographer. The image quality is excelent and it's a perfect fit for someone who does not want to do weddings and model photoshoots but still wants the quality that the P&S can not deliever.

I think no matter what you buy,Nikon d50 or d40, Pentax k100d or Canon XT(i) - you will make the right choice.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:03 AM   #23

Tallis I looked at the EXIF info for your photo and it says its an S1IS and that you are in macro mode, that doesn't sound right?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:23 AM   #24

O.S. wrote:
Quote:
of course d40 is not a gimmic as it has all the features that an average person would ever need.
Please read JimC's post - the lens issue is real. The D50 or Canon 350 or Pentax are not cameras reserved for wedding and model photographers. They are true entry level DSLR cameras and well worth a little extra money over the D40.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 7:21 PM   #25

you guys may be right about the d40
I still like it .
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:33 AM   #26

Iagree with OS-

The Nikon D-40 represents an excellent beginning DSLR camera, in my opinion as well, IF you can live with the lens limitations. It also meet the "small" requirement that is an important factor for some folks upgrading from a P&S to DSLR.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote