Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:46 PM   #1

Hey all, recently I have had my motivation for photography resurrected by somebody else with an interest in it, and so I went out today for the first time in months to shoot a few pictures. I would like to purchase a new compact camera to compliment my current prosumer model (Kodak P850).

Awhile ago I was looking for the best ultra-compact around and just couldn't find anything that I wanted. So now I am less worried about size and would just like a good consumer camera. Here is what I've looking for.

1)ISO performance would be nice, usuable ISO 800 at least.

2)Something suitable for taking pictures inside a school, so that ISO would come in handy, I could use flash I guess, but it would be awesome if I didn't have to.

3)Something using SD cards would be preferred as I have a few of those lying around, and I also like AA batteries as opposed to Lithium cells.

4)Zoom, I would like 4x (140mm) or better if possible.

Thats basically it, the catch is that I want a really cheap camera seeing as it is a second camera. About $150 would be nice ($100 would be wonderful, but I can't see that happening)

This would mainly be a backup camera, or one to always have in my car. (My Kodak P850 is too bulky for everyday use)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:17 AM   #2

Some older casios are pretty good for a nice price, but hisgh iso and low-light performance is generally awful.

Pentax has some very modern cameras for very attractive prices.... Don't know how they do with high iso though.

Fuji was meh. had a z2 that did up to iso1600. Anything above 64 was unusable. Noisy as all hell, probably due to processing.
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:24 AM   #3

Maybe the Kodak C875? I wound up getting mine 2 weeks ago from Staples for $126 w/free 512mb SD card, after a 12% customer appreciation coupon and a price match.

It's a pretty decent little camera, and fits in my pants pocket.

Jeff at DCResource.com likes it, as does our own mtclimber. I posted a non-flash, ISO 800 sample here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

Battery life is not so hot with AA, but seems better since I switched to Kodak's nimh pack a few days ago. I managed to get the Easyshare 3 camera dock - which comes with the nimh rechargeable battery pack - and an extra battery pack from Buy.com for $35/shipped.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:41 AM   #4

Here is a low-light hand-held shot, ISO 800, shutter 1/10, resized and a little post-processing:
Attached Images

Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:42 AM   #5

And here is an unadulterated crop from that scene:

Attached Images

Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:12 PM   #6

I am seriously looking at the C875, I'm a bit turned off by the lack of a viewfinder... but thats something I'll have to deal with on just about any compact right now.

I'll probably just wait for a sale on it, because I don't want to spend a huge amount on a secondary camera when I could just put it towards a new main camera (or perhaps towards an eventually SLR upgrade)

Thanks all.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote