Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1

Greetings!

I am looking for some suggestions for a new digital camera. I love Steve's site and have used it many times to check out the reviews, but never used the Forums before. So here goes.

I am looking for a good quality digital camera to use 'on-the-go'. I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking, etc, so I want something very compact, lightweight, yet durable and something that takes "good" quality pics (I know that word is subjective).

I have another digital camera that i use around the house, etc, and plan to keep that one for a while until I can upgrade, but I am looking for another one that I can use while I am active, therefore I don't want to break the budget.

I guess Portability, Price, and Quality of photo's would be my main criteria (and in that order). I initially was going to get a Pentax ultra small camera, however, was turned off by the numerous reviews of the actual quality of the pics.

Anyway, a friend of mine has a Canon Powershot S100 (Digitial ELPH, I beleive) and I LOVE it. Its VERY small and takes nice pictures (in my opinion). THAT would be something that I am looking for. However, I know that its not made anymore, so i am looking for some help on the boards.

IF I am looking for a 'compact' digital camera, that is relatively cheap (I am not looking for the newest model on the market), has a decent optical zoom (3x), the capability to take movies, what are some suggestions/options?? I would gladly settle for the 2.0 megapixel range for my needs...

What would be the successor to the Canon Powershot S100?

Thanks so much!
jnorth51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 4:03 PM   #2

The Canon Powershot S100 is an excellent camera, my dad owns one and I have used it quite a bit and I have also looked into it's successors. As far as I can tell Canon split it into the "A" series and the "SD" series.

A few new installments in both series have just recently came out, so you should be able to get the older ones for a decent price.

The "A" series is a bit larger but cheaper. Cameras in this series would be the Canon A530, Canon A540 and Canon A610 all of which are between 5 and 6 megapixels with 4x zoom lenses.

The "SD" series are very tiny cameras (smaller than the S100 I think) but tend to cost a bit more, and use 3x zoom lenses rather than 4x. Take a look at the SD600, SD500 and if you can find one, maybe the SD450.

If you decide to spend a bit more, the NEWEST models in these series are the Canon A710 IS or the Canon SD 800 IS which both look very nice but are probably more than you need.

Hope that helped, let me know if you have any questions.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3

Hey Morag2!! Thanks so much for your prompt reply and info! Greatly appreciated! Nice to chat with a fellow Canadian.

Yeah, both my father and brother each have a digitial camera from Canon's "A" series, and both enjoy them. I am now looking into the SD series, as I beleive it will suit my needs a little better.

I think the SD450 would be perfectly suited to my needs, as would the SD600. However, IF I can snag a SD450 somewhere, I am hoping it would be cheaper with the newer ones out.

HOWEVER - i just checked the Future Shop website and it had the SD450 as more expensive than the SD600!!

Oh well - off to search where I might be able to get a cheaper SD450. Suggestions??
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:07 PM   #4

Futureshop is kind of strange at times... a refurbished SD400 costs more than a brand new SD600, haha.

Unfortunately I can't suggest anything better at the moment. I just checked Wal-Mart, Future Shop and London Drugs, which are basically the only places to buy cameras where I live and right now none of them carry the SD450 besides futureshop.

I think the cheapest you'll get the SD600 right now is at Future Shop, seeing as it is $50 off until January 1st. $280 is still a lot, but when I looked at it a few months ago it was nearly $400, so it is dropping.

Besides that, your best bet would be to look at some locally owned camera shops (if you have any), they might sell older cameras. Best Buy might be worth a look as well if you have one.

You could also look at a few other brands of cameras. The Kodak C-series is quite nice. The Kodak C330 is on sale at Future Shop for $90 and the Kodak C875 is only $230, those might be worth a look.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:52 PM   #5

I know! Can you imagine!? A refurbished SD450 costs more than the SD600. Weird, hey?

Do you think the SD600 will drop in price from its current level in the next little while? $280 is a little pricey for me right now to drop on a "spare" camera, esp considering I have another that I use for most things and others I can use if need be.

I am not in any big rush to purchase one of these, and can certainly see myself waiting until the summer. Or, do you think this might be the lowest it will go, and then it will be discontinued for the next model?

Good point. I will try the only locally owned camera shop here that I know of. They might have it.

Old Jan 2, 2007, 5:01 PM   #6

I do expect the SD600 to drop in the near future, but don't quote me on it because I could be wrong. Canon has just realeased a few new cameras in the SD line and before long they will be clearing out the SD600 at low prices.

My camera (The Kodak P850) dropped $250 at Future Shop around the time the next model came out and so I snapped it up quickly. I expect the Canon SD600 to fall within the next few months. If you're in no rush I would wait awhile, hopefully I'm right about the price drop.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:58 AM   #7

Hey -

Yes, you are correct. I am not in any big rush to go out and get a second camera. As I mentioned it, I only really want it to have on me for physical activies outdoors (hiking, mountain biking, etc), and I won't be doing that any time soon with the weather. Plus, my current camera can easly get me through until that time.

Thats why I was looking for an 'affordable' second camera and the SD600 seems like a good fit (in terms of physical size and image quality), however, its current price ($280 on sale at FS) is a little out of my price range.

But, if the SD600 will drop significantly over the next 6 to 8 months....THEN i will be interested!!!