Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:25 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy another super zoom camera VERY soon (today or tomorrow... wife's birthday is in a few days!) and I'm having problems deciding on one.

We have been using an Olympus 2100UZ for years and loved it, but then it broke on us about a year ago (repair cost was too high to justify)and we've been limping by on a lesser "loaner" camera owned by my brother. We need a new camera because I had to give the loaner back and my wife is 6 months pregnant.

I don't care much about megapixels, but I liked the image stabilization in the 2100UZ and the picture quality was very nice. I figure some of the newer models (such as the Kodak Easyshare Z612) would be good replacements, but the problem is that I'm having trouble finding models with a remote.

We used the remote a few times and got some spectacular scenic pictures with us in the foreground. I know that just about every camera has a timer, but I think the remote was preferable.

Can anyone recommend a super zoom 10-12X camera that has a remote? Price is a consideration. Megapixels aren't as important to us, so if I can get a very nice 5mp versus 7mp or higher, that is fine.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Wade
WadeLanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:01 PM   #2

It is interesting that the Canon S1IS had a wireless remote feature, but it was dropped from the S2 and S3. I wonder if it never worked well. I have an S1 that I am very happy with, but never spent the extra bucks for the remote. It may not even be available any more.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:13 PM   #3

I noticed when reading Steve's reviews that a couple of the cameras (Panasonic) didn't mention a remote was available, but in the "Buy" section a Remote was listed as availabe "For UK Buyers". I'm wondering if a regulation changed in the US recently which caused the remotes to be dropped from most product lines. I also wonder if the US cameras will use the UK remote, or if the function has been disabled on the camera itself.

Wade
WadeLanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:51 PM   #4

sedges wrote:
Quote:
It is interesting that the Canon S1IS had a wireless remote feature, but it was dropped from the S2 and S3. I wonder if it never worked well. I have an S1 that I am very happy with, but never spent the extra bucks for the remote. It may not even be available any more.
Wow, I'd never have guessed this! I have the Canon S1 and remote and just assumed that the newer ones did as well. I guess it's not as simple a question as I thought.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote