Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:04 PM   #1

Amature looking for the best mid range camera to take pictures of my 5 y/o daughter at her various activities. I like the looks and feel of the P880 but I am getting the feeling through reading the reviews that the Cannon may take better quality pic's, faster? What do you all think?
Brianam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:59 AM   #2

36-432
24-140

I haven't used either camera, but the major difference that is immediately apparent to me is that they have far different zoom capabilities.

The Kodak P880 has a reach of 140mm. Compared to most cameras that is about 4x zoom. The box advertises a 5.8x zoom because the P880 goes wider than other cameras. Meaning it would work best if you need to take any pictures of landscapes or try to fit entire rooms into the shot (which doesn't sound like what you need).

The Canon S3-IS on the other hand, has a reach of 432mm but cannot go as wide. If your daughter does anything where you are at a fair distance from her, this zoom will come in handy (it is more than triple the reach of the P880).

Seeing as your daughter is 5, I wouldn't expect her to be in any sports, so you will likely not need the zoom. The Canon is probably still best bet because in my opinion, it has slightly better low light photo's. And that is probably your issue more than zoom.

I hope this hasn't just made you more confused But if you need a summary, I'd say take the Canon.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:49 PM   #3

I find myself using the zoom all the time - even with my 1 and 3yos. You see, whenver we go for hikes and such, the children walk off with dad and I like catching precious moments even though I am not nearby.

I also enjoy the zoom to take pictures of my 8 and 7yos without their knowing I am doing it. I prefer when people look natural in pics, but they tend to make the weirdest poses! :lol:

Anyways... Canon vs Kodak? I would always pick Canon.

Quote:
Seeing as your daughter is 5, I wouldn't expect her to be in any sports, so you will likely not need the zoom. The Canon is probably still best bet because in my opinion, it has slightly better low light photo's. And that is probably your issue more than zoom.

I hope this hasn't just made you more confused But if you need a summary, I'd say take the Canon.
havfrue2006 is offline   Reply With Quote